Talk

Advanced search

Hairball question!

(8 Posts)
JeffStellingsLeftEyebrow Wed 28-Dec-16 12:47:23

Found a delightful hair ball this morning, conveniently puked up in the middle of the rug (not on the acres of easily wipeable wooden flooring in the house of course...)

Cats (2) are indoor, not sure which one it was - is there anything I need to do for them re: helping them hock up hair or just leave them to get on with it?

Mistykit Wed 28-Dec-16 12:50:44

A daily brushing of each of them will help reduce the furballs. Other than that I just leave mine to it. They still hock the odd one up... it's so lovely when it's right by your bed and the first thing you put your foot into confused

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 28-Dec-16 12:54:09

Can you try them on some "hairball control" biscuits? Leroy has Royal Canin ones and a daily brush... and hasn't hacked up a hairball yet.

Yes I do realise that by putting that down I have tempted the gods of fate and will be faced with numerous hairballs for the next few weeks. grin

JeffStellingsLeftEyebrow Wed 28-Dec-16 13:07:55

Hairballs for everyone!

Thanks for the replies - I'll try to persuade them that they enjoy being brushed more than they enjoy fleeing as soon as the brush is produced grin

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 28-Dec-16 13:30:12

Start off little and often. I did with Leroy - it was literally a minute for the first few times and I let him walk off as soon as he'd had enough. Most of his grooms now last about 15 minutes. hmm

Toddlerteaplease Wed 28-Dec-16 13:53:57

Neither of my long haired overlords have ever coughed up a hair ball. The RC hairball control ingredient obviously does the trick!

JeffStellingsLeftEyebrow Wed 28-Dec-16 14:10:32

Yes so considerate of Leroy to submit to such treatment. You are a fine human slave grin

Will check RC - we are outside EU though so haven't seen it in shops. They may consent to some hairball control Dreamies if I can source. Bought a different flavoured cat food this week which was taken as an extreme affront to their civil liberties.

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:20:47

I think some cats are just more prone than others. I have had one that was a furball machine. She had anti furball food, anti furball paste, regular brushing, liquid paraffin ( as advised by vet before the criticism starts) and still vomited them prolifically. She had to have one surgically removed at vast expense. I even clipped her in the summer. Didn't seem to make any difference. Current cat is a huge ball of fluff, loves being groomed, no special food and no furballs, despite his revolting habit of grabbing his own wad of fur from the brush and chowing it down, if I don't move quick enough. Others were short hairs and no issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now