Talk

Advanced search

Why has my indoor girl suddenly started to wee in an odd place? Territorial?

(14 Posts)
MidnightVelvetthe7th Wed 28-Dec-16 12:33:35

I've had her for 2 years now, she's a rescue & is an indoor Ragdoll, her being an indoor cat was part of the condition of the rescue. She had her car MOT & boosters last month, she's all fine there's no medical conditions & she's eating & drinking normally. Behaviour is otherwise normal.

She's been happily weeing & pooing in her litterbox for 2 years, then mid December we noticed her starting to poo in a new place. One end of our living room is French doors so mostly glass but its never bothered her before. Now every single night there's at least 2 poos & a wee right next to the glass.

We have tried some things, such as making sure litter tray is clean every night, trying it in different positions e.g. next to the glass door & totally away from it, we have tried drawing the blinds at night so no other cats were staring in at her, we have tried shutting her into the living room at night so she has less to 'guard' in case she has anxiety. But she's still doing it.

There's been no changes to the house, its actually been a bit quieter than usual over Christmas as the DC were with their dad so it was just me & DP at home then DP had the week before Christmas off so she's had more company than usual. The only new thing is the Christmas tree but she enjoys hiding under it as she usually does.

I'm out of ideas & want to help her if she's anxious or afraid, what do you think? smile flowers

NotJustAnotherUsername Wed 28-Dec-16 12:38:58

Probably the Christmas tree given the timing, particularly if it's a real one. I was reading an article the other day about how they can have an odd effect on cats. Get a feliway diffuser for now and you'll probably find the problem resolves when the house is back to normal.

Pollyxcx Wed 28-Dec-16 12:41:35

We put our Xmas tree up and the cat suddenly decided to start weeing on the armchair.

Has never done it before. I've taken the tree down down and soaked and bleached the whole chair. Hoping that stops it

MidnightVelvetthe7th Wed 28-Dec-16 12:43:33

Seriously? It is a real tree yes smile

I've never heard of that before!

NotJustAnotherUsername Wed 28-Dec-16 12:47:50

Yep I work with cats and quite a few clients have reported odd behaviour in the last few weeks. Can't link to the article I read at the moment but it makes sense. Lots of new smells on a Christmas tree, cats don't like change.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Wed 28-Dec-16 12:56:47

Ha thanks very much smile

Pollyxcx Wed 28-Dec-16 17:24:19

Yes it's a real tree

Literally the day we got it she started weeing! Armchair is next to the tree

I'm wondering if another cat has sprayed on it or something?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 07-Jan-17 13:04:09

Hi all, sorry to resurrect an old thread but the tree has been gone a week now & its still happening.

Any ideas?

LivingInMidnight Sat 07-Jan-17 13:07:53

Is it still the same spot? Have you used an enzyme cleaner on it? It might be that she can smell it so keeps going back.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 07-Jan-17 13:40:58

<waves to another Midnight. smile

Am buying one now, thank you x

TheSpottedZebra Sat 07-Jan-17 13:43:33

It sounds territorial to me. Are there other cats (foxes?) about? Have you ever noticed anything looking in ? Anyone new moved into the area with a cat that is establishing its territory?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 07-Jan-17 13:46:13

We have lots of cats and a family of foxes living in the bushes on the other side of the street, I've tried drawing the blinds so nothing can look in, in the hope she feels safer but it hasn't changed.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 07-Jan-17 15:45:50

Can you squirt the other fats with a water pistol to keep them away, or hang bits of tinfoil around or something?

Er, or piss a defensive barrier that they won't cross?

It's tricky, isn't it? Poor you, and poor cat.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:41:57

I'd get a sample off her for the vet to test. The only symptom mine shows is weeing in the house when he has a uti.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now