Talk

Advanced search

Portia is on strike!

(8 Posts)
StillMedusa Tue 27-Dec-16 23:24:09

Portia is nearly 17... a tiny 6 pound feisty torty with purry attitude.
This week she has decided she will no longer eat cat food. At. All. Not even decent stuff.
She will ONLY eat tinned tuna , or chicken!

Will this do her any harm long term? I know cats need taurine in their diets, and am a little worried she will be lacking in essential nutrients.

She on the other hand is happily demanding Princes tuna in brine (won't touch it in springwater) and slapping me until I obey!!!

cozietoesie Wed 28-Dec-16 00:02:18

It's difficult when they become older. They sort of have you by the short hairs. ('Give me what I want or I'll just die - and then you'll really be sorry!' grin)

cozietoesie Wed 28-Dec-16 00:06:23

PS- personally, I'd still persevere with the good quality cat foods. My worry would always be - What if she went off the tuna or the chicken? (And I would be unhappy about the salt content of the tuna as well.)

Do you feed her fresh and often? (Even if small amounts.)

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 28-Dec-16 00:06:40

I'd probably buy some taurine powder and some calcium ( or one of the ready made supplement powders designed for raw feeding) and add it to her approved foods on the sly.

hollinhurst84 Wed 28-Dec-16 00:17:35

Here's a supplement I've used before. Mr fussy pants ate it no problem

StillMedusa Wed 28-Dec-16 00:49:14

I can get taurine etc? Excellent! I am assuming this will be a phase, but as she is VERY good at going on hunger strike (and she is too small and skinny with age for that) I need to go with the flow for now.

She is fed every time she slaps us... which is many times a day, in small amounts. She has been beating us up for years grin

RubbishMantra Wed 28-Dec-16 00:53:21

You can buy a supplement called Fellini online from eg. Zooplus. They do a few - one's taurine only, and they do others with added supplements. You just add it to their food, worth a try perhaps?

If your girl's put the blockers on tuna with spring water, have you tried her on the "no drain" one? Much preferred in the Mantra household, and leaves no stinky residue around the plughole.

Glad to hear your dainty overlord is still getting her way smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 28-Dec-16 07:53:20

She's got you right over a barrel there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now