Talk

Advanced search

Food obsessed cat... help please!!

(6 Posts)
mumsnit Tue 27-Dec-16 19:20:53

My cat is 3 years old and was overweight/obese. She's been on a diet and now lost the weight but is constantly around our feet and completely obsessed with food. She's up on the work tops every time we're out of the kitchen - we can't leave anything out or the dishwasher open as the minute you turn around she's licking the plates! It's becoming a real problem and I wondered if there is any advice here about how to deal with it?

She's on Royal Canin satiety but a strictly controlled amount. We feed her in a feeding ball (which she clearly hates!)

Lemon12345 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:30:13

Royal canin isn't a brilliant food to be honest. I wonder if she is missing something and it's making her search out all potential food sources.
Might be worth doing a little research into cat food. Personally I prefer feeding a raw diet. Cats are obligate carnivores so need as little (if not no) veg, grains etc. Feeding a wet food a few times a day smooshed around a very large plate or using feeding toys might help too. The water will not only help reduce future kidney issues but will fill her stomach.
What does she do exercise wise? Does she go out? If so does she hunt? Is she strictly indoors? Does she like toys etc? Could you increase exercise and food? Maybe toss bits of dry food up and down the stairs to get her running up and down?

mumsnit Tue 27-Dec-16 19:39:59

Lemon - interesting as the RC was suggested by the vets after we'd tried almost everything wet and dry!! She does love wet food but so much of it seems to have sugar and grains in. She drinks lots of water which is good.

What kind of plan would you suggest for a raw diet? I've not tried this other than she gets the odd bit of meat and fish!

Exercise has been hampered by a huge surge in people getting cats around here so she goes out less and only for short periods hunting only in the garden really. The kids are great at playing feeding games with her and the vets were good at suggestions for this.

Barktheheralddogssing Sat 31-Dec-16 06:09:33

My cats have Butchers Classic wet food which doesn't have grain in, is cheap, available at my local tesco express and they love it. It was recommended to me on a cat forum as high quality.

cozietoesie Sat 31-Dec-16 12:48:01

It sounds as if she needs a lot more attention - and more games. I know you said that the DCs play 'feeding games' with her - but what else does she get? smile

mumsnit Tue 03-Jan-17 22:17:31

We tried Butchers but she wasn't keen on it unfortunately and then vet said dry diet was probably better for her with the weight issue.

I agree she does seem bored at times, Cozie. She'll play chase the tea towel and feather duster for a bit but not remotely interested in cat toys - even cat nip ones!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now