Talk

Advanced search

Cat run over, other cat pining

(12 Posts)
Tabbylady Tue 27-Dec-16 16:25:51

One of our darling cats was run over and killed by a car on Christmas day. The whole family is obviously devastated. She had just turned one. We got them as very young kittens as their mum had rejected them and they were extremely close with each other and with my family.

The lady who hit the cat was obviously speeding: we were outside helping family unpack presents from their car, cat was trotting over the road (quiet residential area) and the car came haring round the corner. She didn't even see the cat and just "felt a bump" though she did stop. I could hear her phone saying directions from Google maps when she opened the door but it was on her seat so I wonder if she had been looking at it.

The other cat has been searching for her sister since it happened and has been alternately anxious and clingy and very jumpy.

These were our first cats and we just don't know what to do. DH has got a feliway diffuser today for remaining cat and we are also thinking of a harness so we can take her out - she'll be an indoor cat now.

We are all very upset, has anyone else got advice on helping us and the kids plus cat 2 get through this?

We are considering trying to cat proof the garden- is this practical?
Should I have done anything else about the woman who ran her over? E.E.g. get her details?
I can't bear to think of replacing our wee cat but I also can't bear to think of our other cat being alone all her life. When if ever should we consider getting a new companion for her?
Any advice would be appreciated

cozietoesie Tue 27-Dec-16 16:34:39

I'm so sorry about your wee cat. I suspect that your other cat will adjust though - forbye she might be a little needy and clingy for a few days.

Shriek Tue 27-Dec-16 19:45:49

Oh so sad for you. How awful on Christmas. Keep little dcat busy with distractions and plenty of cuddles and attention for all. I think you will know whether you will want to get another, in time.

That driver sounds like a random. Ivehad dcats on a fast busy road and none been killed but one has been hit and had broken leg teeth and lowee jaw but all very straightforward for recovery (apart from permament for teeth of course) i I have also rushed many to nearest vet hospital. A neighbours ddog too.

Its a judgement call for you really. Once dcats been wondering its harder to restrain wonderings.

Sorry for your loss at christmas x

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Dec-16 19:48:13

I'm so sorry for your loss. And on such a day. Keep your other cat in for now. Yes you can cat proof your garden. There are even firms who will do it for you.
No point taking the details of the driver I'm afraid. The law doesn't intervene in things like this. (Unlike dogs)
It's horrid though. flowers

MsMims Tue 27-Dec-16 20:52:31

I'm so sorry. How awful, especially on Christmas Day. I wouldn't do anything immediately as your remaining cat will need time to adapt. Afterwards, I would be inclined to rehome another as your other cat is so young and potentially has a long life ahead without feline company otherwise.

You couldn't have done any more for the cat you lost. Unfortunately drivers aren't even obliged to stop for a cat. If it's any small comfort, at least you were with her in her final moments. Lots of cats who are run over either die alone or surrounded by strangers.

Cat proofing the garden is indeed practical and I'd highly recommend it. Protect a pet (formerly protect a puss) is run by a very decent chap. You can either have them complete the whole installation or order the parts from them and do it yourself.

So sorry again flowers

IlsaLund Tue 27-Dec-16 21:18:30

Sorry for your loss - they do adjust, we had a brother and sister who were very bonded, they were nearly always together and used to sleep curled up in a muddle of paws and tails and when she was killed on the road I was really worried about him (we do have other cats)
He looked for her for about a week and called for her at feeding time but then he adjusted, he was quite a loner for a while, but now he has joined forces with one of my other cats and they sleep curled up together.

Sadik Wed 28-Dec-16 14:08:18

I'm so so sorry for your loss. IME some cats are quite happy to be alone, others really aren't. After we lost our dog earlier in the year, our cat was very obviously distressed and lonely and didn't settle. We'd expected she would as he was (a) very elderly and not particularly social and (b) out at work with me most of the day.
In the end we did end up rehoming another cat from the local rescue (they were brilliant and matched us up with a sociable and goodnatured cat a little younger than cat1) and after a week or so of spitting they settled down brilliantly.
There are lots of cats in rescues that want or have to be indoors cats, so that wouldn't be a reason not to take one on if you felt she needed company.

diamantegal Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:16

We're a few days ahead of you - our darling, lovely joint best cat in the world dropped dead a couple of days before Christmas.

We had mother and son, and were away when it happened (we'd taken them with us). Mum was okay while we were away but when we got back she prowled around the house looking for him. Two days later and you wouldn't know. She's back to normal - wants our company but then they always both did, but definitely not pining - and we'd had ours for nearly 13 years.

And flowersfor your cat. It gets easier, but we're still struggling to come to terms with our loss - only cat people would understand, but he's left a huge unfillable hole.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 29-Dec-16 01:22:37

I can't offer anymore than the great advice thsts already been given, but.
I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers.
Have you reported the incident. She needs to be caught before she takes the life of another cat or child.

JsOtherHalf Fri 30-Dec-16 22:20:03

We had this a couple of years ago, when one littermate of the pair was killed by a car. He was 1.
His brother was very vocal for days, which wasn't like him. Feliway helped.
A few months later we got another kitten, and kept the Feliway going night and day for a week or two.
They are best friends now, and are usually cuddled up together somewhere.

Tabbylady Sun 01-Jan-17 17:14:46

Thanks for the kind messages folks.
JsOtherHalf that's very reassuring.
Remaining cat has calmed down and Feliway seems to have helped. She piled up their wee mouse toys in our other cat's usual spot for the first couple of nights but now seems to be more normal. She's been more affectionate with us than usual and has also been staring out the window. We have tried her with a harness in the house and might try and take her for a little walk in the garden this week.
We think we probably will look into rescuing another kitten- how long would anyone advise waiting until we do this? The last thing we want to do is unsettle our poor cat

SuburbanRhonda Sun 01-Jan-17 17:22:39

If you have a rescue centre that you would go to for another cat, ask them - they may have a cat of a similar age who is used to living with another cat.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now