Talk

Advanced search

New kitten

(8 Posts)
Ladiesoftheeighties Mon 26-Dec-16 08:41:07

Hi some advice needed - we have a new kitten - Maine coon x bengal only 14 wks -
I need to buy worm and flea treatment and then get onto the injections - can you buy treatment at supermarket or is it better to get everything from vets.?
We are letting him settle down and get used to us as he seems very frightened of new surroundings
but vet appt next week.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 26-Dec-16 08:44:13

Please don't buy the rubbish sold in the supermarket, it doesn't always work and can be dangerous. You're much better off buying it from the vets.

And we need to see pictures!

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Dec-16 08:46:15

Your vets will give you the safest and most effective stuff. (Advocate is good rather than frontline for fleas!)
To start with he should be confined to a quiet space with his bed and litter tray and food. They also like high spaces. A cat tree or a cardboard box somewhere he can hide away may be appreciated.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 26-Dec-16 08:47:41

Sorry, I've just read that back and it sounds abrupt - it wasn't meant to!

We've always bought Harry's flea and worm stuff from the vet, he has Advocate monthly (fleas and some worms) and Prefender quarterly (worms). They are both spot ons as there's no way we can get pills down him and there are different ones for different weights. There are others out there but those are the ones our vet stocks.

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Dec-16 08:51:25

And remember to ask about neutering!

Ladiesoftheeighties Mon 26-Dec-16 09:13:22

Will do - I wanted to send pics but he has been hiding the first 24 hrs and only cMe out to eat or litter.
I had the hallway all laidout for him but he jumped into the bathroom cupboard - which is a mess! I now want to clean it but don't want to upset him.
Last night he walked into the sitting room but as soon as my son saw him he scarpered back. Also he is not sleeping in his bed - just a corner of the floor in the cupboard
under some shelves 😕
We are just moving along at his pace really - but must admit I did think we would have been playing and stroking him by now - I will go through the vets for what I need and also advice and timing of neutering .
As soon as he is comfortable with us - I will take a pic and post. Thanks everyone x

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Dec-16 09:15:27

Oh bless. Our kittens were brought home in their carriers and let out in the kitchen. They stayed there overnight and then we're slowly allowed the run of the house when it was quiet. I'm sure he will settle soon.

lljkk Mon 26-Dec-16 19:57:41

We borrowed a crate for a week for our kittens, that worked really well. Gave them a safe space to observe & hide but not completely away from us all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now