Talk

Advanced search

Hyperactive cat

(14 Posts)
Puffinitee Sat 24-Dec-16 00:01:47

PuffinCat can be feisty from time to time. It has got a bit better since we've had a Feliway diffuser. She spent most of today snoozing but for the past 1-2 hours she has been completely nuts, dashing around, jumping up, pouncing on anything and everything. She always gets zoomies in the evening but this extreme by her standards. I know that cats can hide their pain very well, and she's also been fussy with her food recently (though we do seem to have cracked it now). I am little concerned that this frantic behaviour is due to her being unwell and/ or in pain. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this!

cozietoesie Sat 24-Dec-16 00:35:04

Remind me - how old is she?

PoorAndRich Sat 24-Dec-16 00:47:05

Sounds normal cat to me ( 4 cats and counting here)

hollinhurst84 Sat 24-Dec-16 00:52:45

The past week Ollie has run about like an idiot. Every time he spots me he squeaks and zooms off, like some bizarre game of tag hmm
I'm blaming the weather, it should be colder and they would be all quiet

Allergictoironing Sat 24-Dec-16 07:20:42

Same with my 2, especially Girlcat - having totally insane episodes, charging round the house up & down the stairs, leaping from sofa to cat tree (Girlcat only there, Boycat can't cope with the tree bless him), jumping on each other and having wrestling matches. Then passing out in a heap.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 24-Dec-16 10:00:22

Funnily enough, mine has been particularly scuttley and furtive the last few days. I did suspect a misplaid mouse, but so far no corpse. Last night he slaughtered my hand while I was asleep, jumped on it, pinned it down and bit me (awake at that point obviously). I suspect they are planning a Christmas coup and come the new year we will have new rulers.

TrustySnail Sat 24-Dec-16 10:21:24

It sounds like completely normal behaviour - as long as she seems fine in other respects, you shouldn't worry. In my experience, when in pain, cats are the opposite of hyperactive - they tend to crouch and not move around much.

Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest keeping an eye on her weight - weight loss, coupled with hyperactivity, can sometimes indicate thyroid issues in a cat - this wouldn't cause her pain, but would need to be managed with medication to avoid longer term ill-health (this happened to one of my mum's cats, but she was 15 when it started so of an age when health problems were to be expected). I doubt very much that's the case with your cat, but it's worth being aware of.

Puffinitee Sat 24-Dec-16 11:33:34

Hi! Thanks for your replies! CPL estimated her to be three years old when they took her in half a year ago. Hollin she was doing the looking at us, squeaking and running off thing too! I find it a bit upsetting as I haven't done anything! Weeds good job we've stocked up on food, uncertain times are coming!grin
Thanks also for advice re thyroid: she has her check up mid January so I'll ask about it then.

Can you tell she's our PFC?

Badcat666 Sat 24-Dec-16 11:39:31

Oh one of my 12 year old does this at various times of the day (normally after a poo!) yesterday she was running around like a nutter and jumping on things and running off again, in and out of the front room skidding around like an ice skater!

It might be because you have cracked her diet. I changed mine a couple of months ago to higher protein dried food and since then she's like a wind up toy, silly thing grin.

I've always find if they are poorly they go all quiet and rarely whizz around.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 24-Dec-16 11:42:53

One of mine who is usually a furry amoeba has been very playful the last few days. She was even playing with the dangly toys on the cat tree. She never does that. Must be the weather. Apparently strong winds affect children so why not for cats?

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Dec-16 11:45:58

Windy where you are? High winds always cause an attack of the crazies here!

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 24-Dec-16 11:50:36

A feline junta by January, be afraid, be very afraid....

cozietoesie Sat 24-Dec-16 13:03:40

Well Seniorboy hasn't been on the phone any more than usual so I'm quite hopeful. smile

She sounds fine, Puffin. I've also found that cats who aren't well tend to go 'into themselves' so if she's otherwise fine - eating and drinking OK, evacuating fine, maintaining her weight etc - then I'd relax a bit. Maybe try to 'direct' her activity a little by giving her more games to play? What have you got her for Xmas? smile

Puffinitee Sat 24-Dec-16 13:54:29

Thanks for reassuring me cozie! She's back to her usual crazy self smile pic of present attached; naturally she has her own stocking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now