Talk

Advanced search

Hot ears?

(11 Posts)
Baconsarnie Wed 21-Dec-16 11:46:48

Noticed yesterday that DCat's ears are unusually hot. He seems ok in himself otherwise. Do you reckon it's anything to worry about?

Toddlerteaplease Wed 21-Dec-16 11:57:45

I think it's the equivalent of us having cold hands or feet. I've noticed at night my cats have cold ears and cold breath.

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Dec-16 12:43:04

Has he been roasting himself in front of an open fire? Or draped across a radiator? That could explain it.

Little M has unusually cold feet, but I put that down to being a bit challenged fur-wise.

cozietoesie Wed 21-Dec-16 12:47:32

Just felt Seniorboy's ears and they're nice and warm. (Which is hardly surprising given the electric blanket.) wink

Toddlerteaplease Wed 21-Dec-16 13:51:06

I saw some converse style bootees for small dogs. Maybe little M should have some. That would be adorable

cozietoesie Wed 21-Dec-16 15:48:27

I always wanted bootees for our hounds at this time of the year. Any salt on eg pavements played havoc with their paw pads.

I think it should be OK, OP - if the lad is otherwise fine. It can be a sign of a raised temperature but you would be seeing other symptoms if that was so. Maybe just keep a weather eye on him? smile

Baconsarnie Wed 21-Dec-16 23:43:31

Thanks everyone. He seems ok otherwise, so I'll just keep an eye on him. He's still pestering me for food every time I go into the kitchen so can't be much wrong with him. His ears are normally cool tho.

cozietoesie Thu 22-Dec-16 08:42:50

He might possibly have a wee infection that his body is fighting off - and his ears are doing a ventilation job to keep his temperature down. (And the other signs are so subtle that you haven't clocked them.) It's possible. smile

I'd keep an eye on him as you said.

Baconsarnie Thu 22-Dec-16 13:50:56

That's what I was wondering cozie. The ventilation thing is a good one. He's eating normally, and his ears are cool today so that's good.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:09:03

It seems to pretend where they've been and what they were doing. If mine has just given me a historical reenactment of the great mouse hunt, complete with, leaping, scuttling and pouncing, his ears are hot. If he's been in the rain, they're cold. If they are back to normal now, I wouldn't worry.

cozietoesie Thu 22-Dec-16 14:39:39

A wee infection isn't necessarily a disaster - if it's a small one and his body is fighting it off. (As it's designed to do.)

I'm glad he's back to normal though. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: