Talk

Advanced search

Quick help doubting myself about taking cat away for Christmas

(21 Posts)
Alakazam7 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:15:02

Going to spend Christmas with family- 5 days in total.
I had planned to take year old cat with me and organised everything for this. It is about 1 and a half hours away.
Last night I began to have doubts about this- although he is very close to me and I wanted him with me- worried he will hate it and just be scared the whole time.
It is probably not too late to try for a cat sitter. I would miss him dreadfully though.
What would be the best thing to do, is it worth trying taking him just to see how he manages?

PolterGooseFat Tue 20-Dec-16 09:19:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 20-Dec-16 09:23:19

Oh dear god that's difficult! When you got him, how long did it take him to settle? If it took him a few days I think I'd try for a sitter, if he took it all in his stride and it took minutes I think I'd take him.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 20-Dec-16 09:27:43

DM has a holiday cottage and we take Harry there and he seems quite happy there - he's actually more relaxed than at home! He's not allowed out when we are there and doesn't seem worried about not going out. However, it does depend on the cat, and I don't know how he'd be if there were other people there.

MrsWooster Tue 20-Dec-16 09:29:10

As pp says- one of mine used to go everywhere with me and didn't turn a hair. The next was far more neurotic staid and used tohave a sitter. Only you know what your chap is like.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:30:04

You won't know till you try. He might surprise you.

bananagreen Tue 20-Dec-16 09:37:33

If we are going for more than a few days (we have an automatic feeder for uptp 4 days) them we take ours to my DPs its a 5-6 hour journey. We use feliway spray in their crates which helps alot. Generally they are a little unsettled on small roads where speed and direction change constantly, but sette well and sleep when on the motorway. Once at DPs they are fine and settle quickly. If you don't try you won't know.

Alakazam7 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:14:56

Thanks Everyone- going by the replies on here Im edging towards taking the risk and trying just this once and if it doesn't work get a sitter in future. It's so reassuring to know that some cats have been ok with travelling and settling. I know he is ok with the journey as he has done a similar length to an animal hospital. He will have his own space in the house so should be able to cope (hopefully)
If it really is awful for him at least I'll know.

Papergirl1968 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:16:05

Taken our boy away twice and he has been fine as he is very attached to the family. Give it a try...

cozietoesie Tue 20-Dec-16 10:20:41

I've always taken our boys with us. They stay indoors but they're bonded and have been fine.

Have a good festive season. smile

Alakazam7 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:36:45

Thank you that is good to know. It's selfish but I don't want to leave him on his own for Christmas. I'll take him as planned and see how it goes.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:48:36

I have always taken mine to parents in the past and they were OK, some more outgoing than others but even neurotic last cat managed fine. I don't need to do it any more as I always host Christmas but current cat came on holiday and had a great time.

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 20-Dec-16 11:15:39

If you want to use a sitter in future, try www.housesittersuk.co.uk/. I've arranged a few through them - no money changes hands, the person gets the free accommodation and you get a pet sitter (with references). My next one is coming Friday for my Xmas break with family. People tend to want to stay for at least ten days or a couple of weeks though, as they are often travelling from Europe or Asia.

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 20-Dec-16 11:15:39

If you want to use a sitter in future, try www.housesittersuk.co.uk/. I've arranged a few through them - no money changes hands, the person gets the free accommodation and you get a pet sitter (with references). My next one is coming Friday for my Xmas break with family. People tend to want to stay for at least ten days or a couple of weeks though, as they are often travelling from Europe or Asia.

AQuietMind Tue 20-Dec-16 11:18:42

I know quite a few people who take their cats caravanning with them, so multiple times a year to multiple locations. However, my Cat would not be impressed at all.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 20-Dec-16 11:22:26

You could try him on a harness over the next couple of days so you'd be able to pop outside with him for some fresh air while you're away. Obviously if he absolutely hated it that would be a complete no no and he'd have to stay in, but it might be worth a try.

I've just thought of that because my indoor(ish) cat is currently sitting by his harness meowling to go out!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 20-Dec-16 11:32:50

We take CatBaby on holiday to the in-laws twice a year. She doesn't mind at all, but she is basically a cushion with a tail!

MinceForBrains Tue 20-Dec-16 11:38:26

My cats would hate it. They are creatures of habit and like their own territory. Plus cat2 is truly terrified of the car.

My mate drops in a couple of times a day when we go away. I do the same for her and her multiple cats.

Alakazam7 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:24:09

I'll try the harness as I was thinking about that anyway. The house sitter idea is great for future times away. I'd never heard about that. I'm going to try it once and if he hates it we won't do it again! Thanks for all the replies everyone

Alakazam7 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:26:12

Took cat away- just got back. He was absolutely fine apart from hiding now and again. I wouldn't hesitate to take him again if I needed to. Thank you to those who gave me the advice, I might have chickened out otherwise!

cozietoesie Wed 28-Dec-16 15:45:10

Glad you had a good festive season. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now