Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Old Girl - Possible Arthritis Help?

(15 Posts)
HesSpartacus Sun 18-Dec-16 23:57:40

My old lady (coming up to 14) is in very good health but we're just noticing she isn't as keen on jumping up as she used to be. We have a very high bed and about 75% of the time she sort of hauls herself up instead of making a clean jump. She occasionally limps after getting up from lying down, also.

I'm suspecting it could be arthritis - she only has one rear hip joint as she had an arthroplasty (removal of the top of her femur) after a car accident when she was 2 - the socket was too badly damaged for a repair. She's walked fine ever since but the load on her other leg is disproportionate, so could now be suffering wear?

Is there anything I can do to help her? Should I go straight to the vet and Metacam her, or is there anything else that might help? Thanks!

DramaAlpaca Mon 19-Dec-16 00:04:38

She sounds like my old boy, who's 15 now and has arthritis in his back legs. He's on Metacam, which helps a lot. I give it every couple of days, as the vet did blood tests which suggested he shouldn't have it daily.

We've put a little step at the side of DS's bed, where puss loves to sleep, so he can get on it without hauling himself up.

Another thing we've done is get him a heated pad to put in his cat bed. He really loves that & it seems to make him more comfortable.

I'd definitely recommend a trip to the vets, though, to make sure your old lady isn't in pain.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 19-Dec-16 09:11:59

I'd say vet is your first port of call. Heat pads are good , I had one for my old, rickety cat. Also a supplement called Seraquin, which is a joint aid that seemed to help. She actually liked the taste of those and would eat them as a treat.

HesSpartacus Mon 19-Dec-16 09:14:08

Okay - she was in during October for her teeth and had a clean bill of health (they put her out & did bloods when they did the scale & polish) but it has only really come on since it got cold last month.

The problem is that she really hates the vets & it really stressses her so I was hoping not to - but I can't let her be in pain.

Has anyone had any joy with supplements?

HesSpartacus Mon 19-Dec-16 09:14:53

Oops - cross post. Where do you get the Seraquin?

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 12:24:38

Seniorboy was vet phobic until he came to live with me and now he accepts it with reasonable grace. It's not his favourite thing but he has to go - he's very elderly and has severe arthritis - so that has to be that. I'd vet her directly. Supplements are all well and good but at her stage, she sounds as if she needs a good base of meds to layer them on if you want to use them.

Lots of heat is the main thing, other than meds. My own old lad has an electric blanket that he lies on (he can't curl up any more and likes to 'lie long') but I believe you can buy very realistically priced heat pads for cats. I'd get something hotly comforting directly. smile

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 12:31:13

PS - here's some guidance on arthritis for you to read. You might find it useful.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 19-Dec-16 14:45:14

You can buy Seraquin on line, it can be used with prescription medicines as it's not a pharmaceutical. I found it quite effective. However, I really think you should take her to the vet first, as we are all assuming it's arthritis. It could be something else and the vet is the best one to be advising and prescribing.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 16:56:09

That's a fair point, Weeds. It certainly sounds like arthritis but she's an older girl and who knows what else is going on with her. A full vet check (including bloods) would be appropriate. (And necessary if any meds were in prospect.) smile

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:30:08

She won't appreciate it, I know, but it's the best starting point smile

HesSpartacus Mon 19-Dec-16 19:11:07

Thanks! Booked her in for later in the week. I'm sure the vet will be delighted as she has a 'reputation'... Thanks also for the info about the supplements - if it is arthritis then I'll take it from there.

inaclearingstandsaboxer Mon 19-Dec-16 19:19:12

My mangy old pussy (21) is a bit stiff these days - she doesn't yet need medication so we have adapted the house to help her. There is a step for her to access her favourite bed. We have also put a litter tray next to her favourite bed as we found she couldn't quite get downstairs quickly enough.

My other old pussy (died aged 19) was on Loxicom for her arthritis. It fried her kidneys in the end but we made the decision to give her less time but more comfort. We don't regret her.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 20:52:57

I'd disagree a little, inaclearing. If she's stiff, she could probably do with some meds, cats being such masters at covering up discomfort. I'd have her to the vets as well. smile

Do you give her extra heat? That seems a real biggie in my experience.

DramaAlpaca Mon 19-Dec-16 21:17:47

Thanks for posting that link, cozietoesie, it was a useful read.

One thing it mentions is helping an arthritic cat to groom itself because they can find it difficult and their fur can get matted.

I'd noticed that there were mats on my boy's back, so I got the vet to remove them when we were there for a check up & now I help him out with grooming. The other day I gave him a gentle wipe down with a damp towel & he loved it. He felt so silky afterwards too smile

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 21:25:46

Oh Yes - I groom Seniorboy. It removes a great deal of loose hair and has the added benefit of virtually stopping furball vomiting. With him at any rate. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now