Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen this before..

(7 Posts)
skyblu Sun 18-Dec-16 20:57:01

My 15.5 yr old cat was very poorly recently with a 'cold'. She had running nose, slept all the time, seemed to age dramatically in a very short time. Looked a real old lady.
She also has been suffering with a cough upon waking up for about a year (vet said in past that's it's just age). She got cystitis as well on top of her cold.
Vet did bloods, urine, gave 2 week anti-biotic injection & metacam.
Bloods & urine showed she has stage 2 kidney failure. She has been drinking a lot & frequently sick over past year, very fussy/eating much less.
We've now put her onto the special renal wet food diet, at vets advise.

Well, the antibiotic cleared her cold & cystitis and the metacam gave her her mojo back. She is lapping up the renal food, 2 pouches + biscuits each day - licking the bowls clean. I have never seen her eat like this! Especially in last few years.
Her coat looks shiney & smooth again. Her eyes big & bright and she's back to being very sociable & vocal again. Even her cough has gone! (Which it didn't when she had antibiotics earlier in the year for something else).

So as I was preparing to be looking after an old lady in her winter moments & looking for signs to know when it's "time".....it's like I've got a brand new cat (& an almost kitten-like one at that!)

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this...is it a massive high before a massive low type of thing, or was it really a simple 2week antibiotic has cleared up EVERYTHING & re-juvinated her??
She has been sick once & poo'd outside litter tray once (most unlike her) since....

It's just not knowing what to expect....

thecatneuterer Mon 19-Dec-16 08:42:34

No I haven't experienced that - but long may it continue!

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 11:33:34

Immune systems are strange things. I know that my own (very old) boy has had times when his immune system seems to really step up a gear - sometimes after ABs, even.

As TCN said, 'long may it continue'. I'd guess that the meloxicam has made a massive difference to her as well - just the relief of not having so much pain must be immense. (And how that affects her immune system as well is a matter for pleased speculation.)

She's older but you know that her situation is at least manageable for now. smile

skyblu Mon 19-Dec-16 19:23:18

We went to old lady clinic (senior cat clinic) today and she has put on weight! Blood pressure good and urine results have less protein than the last one.
Vet very happy with her! And as you both say, is of the 'long may it continue' opinion.

She obviously couldn't give me any promises and made it clear that things can change....but is hopeful that all looks good for now. smile
Got more metacam and we agreed that I'd give it 'ad-hoc' as I feel necessary, guided by cat/weather etc...
So all good & back for a check in 3 months.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 20:48:24

Having no - or even less - pain might be making a big difference to her. smile Let us know how she gets on?

Lillagroda Mon 19-Dec-16 22:06:05

I've had this with one of mine. She was finally diagnosed with IBD at the start of this year. She'd been ill for about 5 years, previously misdiagnosed as food allergies. With the right diagnosis and after a couple of tries came the right treatment.

Overnight she was a different cat - or rather her old self again. Huge appetite, after years of extreme pickiness. Inquisitive, and no longer terrified of just about everything, normal bloods - there had been several bad liver results.

For me, it has to be the pain having ended or at least improved a lot.

Seven months later and she's still the same - it's like having a kitten again. Having to tell her off for begging at dinner time is a new one this week! So not a temporary high in my case.

Enjoy the rejuvenated kitten - long may it last.

Araminta99 Tue 20-Dec-16 06:20:06

That's wonderful! Sending her hugs! She is obviously feeling much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now