Talk

Advanced search

Had to put my girl to sleep

(11 Posts)
nowayjose1 Sun 18-Dec-16 20:50:44

We only had our lovely girl for a few months. I posted on here before about how RSPCA told us she was 2 years old when in fact it turned out she was 13 bless her!

She was becoming so thin yet with a swollen tummy so we took her to the vets for blood tests and they said it was probably a tumour in the liver.

I feel like since we brought her back from the vets she went down hill rapidly :-( some days she seemed herself other days she just looked like she was staring into space and confused and would hang her head in the water bowl as she was so thirsty.

So yesterday we decided to put her at peace. she just looked so not with it and sad like she was suffering. I felt like her eyes just stared right through me.

Since then I just feel overwhelmed with guilt. She was still eating and going outside to the toilet which apparently means she had some quality of life but she was so thin and weak yesterday I just knew she wasn't happy by her face. I also feel guilty for ever taking her to the vet as she seemed ok in herself before then apart from the swelling in her tummy which was fluid.

Poor baby girl. I miss her cute squeaky meows so much. I just keep having little Crys every now and then. fsad

Wolfiefan Sun 18-Dec-16 20:53:00

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Eating and going to the toilet is not really quality of life though. That would be playing and cuddling and finding enjoyment in each day.
Confused and staring into space and hanging her head in the bowl sounds really awful.
You have saved her from suffering and given her a peaceful end. flowers

nowayjose1 Sun 18-Dec-16 20:57:27

Thank you I'm glad you said that. Everytime I went online to read about when the time is right it would mention eating and going outside still but I could just see she wasn't happy :-( I think I just needed reassurance that I made the right call. I didn't want to wait until she couldn't eat or go outside etc. The look in her face was enough to see she was tired. :-(

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 18-Dec-16 21:27:51

Sounds like the right decision. Existing is not the same as quality of life.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 18-Dec-16 21:36:59

You did the right thing, you never feel good about doing it at the time though. flowers

deedeelondon Sun 18-Dec-16 21:39:01

So sorry for your loss. You definitely did the right thing, and would have felt more guilty if you had let her suffer any longer, but it's a horrible decision to have to make. She was fortunate to have had such a loving home for the last few months of her life.

LanaorAna1 Sun 18-Dec-16 21:39:38

I am terribly sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, however painful it is for you. She is at peace now.

Puffinitee Sun 18-Dec-16 21:46:06

flowers This is so sad! I just wanted to say that it does sound like she was very unwell. I'm not sure if it is the right thing to say, but I also don't think a vet would agree to put an animal to sleep if they felt they still had decent quality of life. Big hug to you!

Vinorosso74 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:29:00

I remember your post. Am sorry you've lost her, poor girl and you flowers

Wolfiefan Sun 18-Dec-16 22:31:42

When we had our old girl pts our vet mentioned "dignity". I always thought of it as not letting them suffer. He said it was about not keeping them beyond the time when things that used to make them happy didn't anymore. At the end wolfiecat wasn't really wolfiecat anymore. It is still hard though.

nowayjose1 Mon 19-Dec-16 09:49:16

Thanks everyone. Your words have made me feel better. I've been having lots of cuddles with my other cat Teddy. He never really paid much attention to Lucy but during the last few days he was really lovely and spent a lot of time with her x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now