Talk

Advanced search

Best dry food diet?

(14 Posts)
Ineedwineplease Sat 17-Dec-16 21:15:38

I've just brought a one year old rag doll, she was on asda own brand dry cat food so I thought I'd 'upgrade' her to whiskers... I've just been doing research and found out that's probably not best for her? I really don't want to do wet food so I'm looking for opinions on very good but affordable cat food please? (High neat content) And can I mix it in with my whiskers one? Thank you for any advice.

Ineedwineplease Sat 17-Dec-16 21:16:14

Sorry auto correct - meat

MrsBertMacklin Sat 17-Dec-16 21:21:44

Have a look at Applaws, Arden Grange or James Wellbeloved. Try Zooplus for the best prices.

fuzzyllama Sat 17-Dec-16 21:24:10

We use James well beloved. Not the cheapest, but find it lasts ages. Cats love it and they are the picture of health.

sweetkitty Sat 17-Dec-16 21:33:14

We use Millie's Lionheart it's a cat food made by Millie's Wolfheart who make top quality dog food we found our old eating the dogs food, it's 75% and heshad anew lease of life!

Badcat666 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:41:20

I've been feeding my two on Harringtons complete cat food the last few months and they love it!! Their coats are amazing and for 2 12year olds they are like kittens now. Has 40% chicken and I get mine from Tesco for around £5.50 for 2kg

TheCakes Sun 18-Dec-16 11:54:55

We've just switched to Lily's Kitchen which seems pretty good.
The vet told me yesterday he thinks cats should have wet food to prevent bladder problems, but Ozzy only has a little bit.

ittybittyluna Sun 18-Dec-16 16:27:48

If a boy cat then just be aware that an entirely dry diet can sometimes exacerbate bladder problems. My boy has allergies (which isn't relevant) but it has meant some long conversations with the vet who recommends a wet diet and encouraging them to drink (which can be super tough so we bought a fountain, otherwise he loves the tap!)

TheCakes Tue 20-Dec-16 19:34:44

Yes, that's what the vet said to me. He was pleased when i told him about Ozzy's nightly kitten milk.

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Dec-16 14:19:43

I switch between Orijen Master and Applaws. Both have a high meat content, and no grains/cereals. Can order both from Zooplus. They might seem expensive, but they feel satisfied and full for longer, because it's not padded out with carbs. Make sure they've got loads of fresh drinking water in several different places.

I do give them a wet meal every day though.

FuzzyWizard Wed 21-Dec-16 16:10:15

Why don't you want to feed wet food? Bladder and kidney problems in cats can be dangerous and expensive. I'd try to give one meal of wet food per day even if you mainly feed dry food.

UptownFlunk Wed 21-Dec-16 16:22:18

I buy Sanabelle dried cat food, it has a good meat content and low gluten content and my very vomit-prone moggy was transformed into a non-vomiting cat by it. I have two pedigrees and a moggy and all three are thriving on Sanabelle so I would recommend it to anyone. I recently changed them to Sanabelle Light as two of them are housecats and the moggy is getting older and more sedentary so they are prone to weight gain if I don't keep an eye on them - they love it just as much!

Madbengalmum Wed 21-Dec-16 16:25:25

Seconding Orijen, it has the most meat and or fish of all dried feeds and regularly wins awards for quality.
Plus due to its quality you dont use alot and your cat is satisfied. The major plus is no additives, rubbish or grain found in most dried foods.

LivingInMidnight Wed 21-Dec-16 17:25:28

Mad Thrive is 90% so slightly higher meat content than Orijen wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now