Talk

Advanced search

Training cats to poo on the loo

(17 Posts)
thetoothfairywhoforgot Thu 15-Dec-16 23:04:32

We have a new kitten - 3 months. She seems fairly smart but we did have an issue with her pooing on the stairs for about a week when she first came home. We ended up with a second litter tray on our stairs which is not ideal.

So I have been wondering if we should try training her to use the loo. Has anyone tried this and succeeded?

TIA.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:14:57

You can buy kits to train them, I think it's a brilliant idea.

It requires patience though from what I can tell.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Sat 17-Dec-16 02:23:43

Yeah, the kits look good but quite expensive in my country (like everything!) They get mixed reviews on Amazon.

I think I may give it a go after Xmas.

PenguinsandPebbles Sat 17-Dec-16 02:48:27

It doesn't work

I have four toilets in my house, so had a "cat loo" for training tried to train mine didn't work

Plus leaving all toilet seats constantly up is pretty gross IMO

IKnowWhyACagedBirdSings Sat 17-Dec-16 02:48:30

Oh my...why??? Not very hygienic, cat feaceas on or near the seat ...yukky!

thetoothfairywhoforgot Sat 17-Dec-16 06:09:35

Cat poo ain't very nice in a box either though!

Maltropp Sat 17-Dec-16 12:47:08

Friend did this, moved litter tray closer and closer to toilet then put small tray in/on toilet (stabilised not to fall/tip), then taught cling film and litter over toilet.... Bingo, trained cat. He couldn't understate why everyone doesn't do this!

Potentialmadcatlady Sat 17-Dec-16 19:17:49

I trained two of mine..was messy for a couple of weeks then perfect...no litter, no mess and they even tried to flush ( weren't strong enough).. Am waiting for my youngest kitten to be old/big enough then I'm going to train her.. Saves a fortune on litter too

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sat 17-Dec-16 19:34:51

Please don't. Toxoplasmosis is not killed by the treatment process and there have been studies that it and other parasites could get into the water supply. In places where treated sewage goes into the ocean this can have a detrimental effect on wildlife.

Shriek Sat 17-Dec-16 20:21:28

What about people who have toxoplasmosis? Or chemotherapy for that matter and radigraphy and all the other myriad of infections and diseases not treated for. Hormones, AB's and so on? Would something like this be able to survive in salt water?

Qwebec Sun 18-Dec-16 02:57:44

I thaught about it, read a lot about it and decided against when I read that it is a source of stress for cats and that the behaviorist's opinion I could find were against it for many sensible reasons.

SillyMoomin Sun 18-Dec-16 10:37:45

This is a real thing?? I thought it was made up like in the film meet the parents grin

GerundTheBehemoth Sun 18-Dec-16 10:59:22

Potentially harmful to marine life, as OhWhatFuckery says. Many mammals, including humans, can get toxoplasmosis, but the infective organism (Toxoplasma gondii) can only reproduce inside cats' bodies. Infected cats shed vast quantities of oocysts (the 'eggs' of T. gondi) in their poo.

Toxoplasmosis infection is a serious problem for sea otters in North America: article here. It has also been found in some seal and dolphin species.

previously1474907171 Mon 19-Dec-16 03:42:37

I bought a Litter Kwitter a while ago, and began with the phone books etc. then I realised that if the cats were using the toilet instead of the litter trays I would have no idea if they were passing anything that would indicate illness as it would dissolve before I could check.

So I sold it. I am now able to check to see how much urine is passed, how often, whether it has blood in, whether there is constipation etc. which, as they get older is an indication of whether they have any illnesses that need attention.

It is a novelty and saves messy litter but the health of my cat is more important.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Mon 19-Dec-16 07:47:02

I'm a bit worried about spreading the bugs to our seas. We have dolphins and seals nearby.

Our kitten like licking DD's food. DD has figured out that she doesn't have to eat anything if the cat has licked it and is overjoyed.

Can you get toxoplasmosis from licked food?

FuzzyWizard Mon 19-Dec-16 08:01:11

I wouldn't. When I first saw it I thought it was a clever idea but the more I think about it the less I like it. I can imagine it becoming a problem as a cat gets older and less mobile or isn't feeling well, or after surgery etc. It also means they can't do their normal burying routine.

StillMedusa Tue 20-Dec-16 02:18:40

I wouldn't. My eldest is bright enough... but cats age. She's 17 now, and in the night will pop in the shower and pee down the drain rather than go down to her litter tray, but she can't jump as well these days... I suspect had she been loo trained we would now have poos on the floor near the loo!

Plus as others have said, her use of a litter tray means I can keep an eye on her bowels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now