Talk

Advanced search

Licking for attention

(19 Posts)
harrypoooter Thu 15-Dec-16 10:58:49

I love my boy cat so so much and he is very cuddly and floppy which is great (escpecially with a small child in the house) but he is driving me INSANE with his licking.

It's when he wants attention. He does about 5'licks where ever he can get to you, hands, face, feet if they're hanging out the bed. Ankles if I'm in the kitchen. But it's constant. If I tickle him on the head or acknowledge him he stops. But then 10 seconds later he does it again. It's constant and makes it impossible to hold him on my knee as he's constantly licking me unless I am constantly scratching/petting him. What can I do? Seriously needy cat here.

harrypoooter Thu 15-Dec-16 11:00:35

Some evidence

Toddlerteaplease Thu 15-Dec-16 12:23:02

No advice but I'm envywould love my cats to do this. My parents cat does it to my dad!

TheWayYouLookTonight Thu 15-Dec-16 12:25:38

Mine bites me for attention. I'd take licking any day! grin

Kenworthington Thu 15-Dec-16 12:26:29

Mine bites too. <sigh>

cozietoesie Thu 15-Dec-16 12:39:16

Say No, firmly, and put him down if he does it. He's received the message that that's what he's supposed to do to be allowed to be close to you so disabuse him of that notion. wink

Only pet him if he's being quiet and non-lucky.

cozietoesie Thu 15-Dec-16 12:39:36

non-licky

harrypoooter Thu 15-Dec-16 20:55:56

I've tried that. He's very persistent. I've done 'no' a lot today and he's still going at me! Will continue tomorrow. It's very cute, but can drive me insane!

cozietoesie Thu 15-Dec-16 21:57:04

Ah - it sounds as if you don't mean it when you say it. wink

fluffandsnuff Thu 15-Dec-16 22:18:30

I have a licky cat. No suggestions (apart from wearing long sleeves and hiding hands) but at least we aren't alone! We've had him since he was about 2 and 4 years later he's still at it.

TheCakes Sun 18-Dec-16 11:59:10

Mine bites too, and dives on me. fenvy

something2say Mon 19-Dec-16 18:19:43

In my house we call it giving kiss. He licks everyone

cozietoesie Mon 19-Dec-16 18:27:35

Seniorboy was a complete hellion when he lived with my mother. Biting, going on surfaces, you name it.

He didn't try that on with me. smile

RubbishMantra Mon 19-Dec-16 18:45:43

Little M used to have a thing for licking DH's armpits. DH wasn't a stinker though, so I don't think it was an intention to wash him. He also licked my back, when I slept in just pants. Now I wear a t-shirt in bed, so he doesn't get to give anyone the wet sandpaper treatment.

I think it's to mix all your smells together, so you all smell of the "tribe".

harrypoooter Mon 19-Dec-16 21:08:17

That's what I kind of thought, scent scharing but it happens too often to be that I think. It's definitely for attention.

Araminta99 Tue 20-Dec-16 06:15:38

My boy licks too, but I love it. Take it as a compliment that he thinks you're a cat :P has he got a companion? My boy loves licking his sister, I think he is just rather finicky about cleanliness because he licks her every day, even in her ears! I don't mind because they are both sparkling clean!

Maybe he needs an outlet for his licking, and another cat or kitten could fulfill that and take the attention off of you. Especially if you got a young female.

harrypoooter Wed 21-Dec-16 08:17:06

We have a girl cat too... he doesn't try to lick her though. She wouldn't entertain it I suspect. He has lots of toys and interests- he's a very busy cat. Always up to something and Rarely sits still. Even when he sleeps he fidgets awfully. When he tries to go to sleep he takes an age to pad around and find the right spot, then when he lies down he shuffles loads. Very strange!

harrypoooter Wed 21-Dec-16 08:18:19

This is them. They do generally like each other which is lucky.

Araminta99 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:20:04

Awwwwww they are lovely! <3 so cute!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now