Talk

Advanced search

think I might have killed my cat

(150 Posts)
Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 17:43:50

sadsad
My dcat have been looked after by friends for some long time because our situation demanded it and came back weighing 6.8 kgs.
He had steady weight loss and was doing so well with starting to play and jump about more and reaching rear end to clean finally without rolling over. All the nasty knots in fur were all gone and he was looking so good and well.

Then he stopped eating drinking or doing anythong really. I booked an appt at vet but the day before taking him in whilst I was out, dc text to say he was eating his usual biscuits yay! So I called in to cancel appt.
Expected it could take some time to recuperate but I didnt see any eating.As they share bowls and no way of separating that i I could see I kept close eye.
I thought at one time dehydrated so syringed water to rehydrate which worked and he was behaving more normally but obvs still revovering. I suspect though that no food eaten and taken back to vets as so worried about him.
He never had any ailments at all and always been a darling and fit as a flea.
What worries me desperately is that he had a strange smell about him that I couldnt place. Like chemicals I noticed it early on and was stupid I think nnot to be suspiciius straight away. I have linked that in my head with this now thinking maybebhe drank from the loo with chemical in it!!!!!!!! Vet kept him for bloods/x-ray/poss op but very soft abdo so not thinking its tumour or blockage. Vet noticed yellowing and I already thought gums looking quite pale. Whats happened and so worried hes gonna die sad sadsad
Sorry is so long. Didnt wanna drip feed or have anything misinterpreted

cozietoesie Wed 07-Dec-16 17:57:19

How old is he? And he's at the vets now?

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 18:10:01

He's 6 and yes being kept in at vets for all the tests and poss op as above. Awaiting call in the morning. Oh gawd so scared whatve I done!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 07-Dec-16 18:25:14

You poor thing. We all beat ourselves up when it comes to our cats but he's in the best place now. Has the vet given you any idea when they will know more?

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 18:37:45

Vet said dcat to go straight on drip and will call in morning. I guess they will have taken bloods already for analysis and might have dobne xray/scan already with poss emergency op today or tomorrow.

Oh I feel sick... My precious boy. I krep remembering that smell and think if its that surely he's just dying a slow agonising death sad
Oh gawd [hand-wringing]

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 07-Dec-16 18:41:06

Deep breaths- first off it won't be a slow agonising death as the vet won't let that happen, they won't let an animal suffer.

I'm keeping everything crossed for youflowers xxx

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 18:44:27

PinkSparkly were you ever Silvery or have I mixed you up with someone else?

cozietoesie Wed 07-Dec-16 18:48:44

As a PP said, he's in the best place for an animal who's not well. Wait and see what the vet says in the morning and try, yourself, to get some rest.

MsMims Wed 07-Dec-16 18:51:50

Have you mentioned to the vet that he may have had access to the chemicals?

Don't beat yourself up, but I would make sure the vets know incase it influences/ changes his treatment.

Nemesia Wed 07-Dec-16 18:58:16

It could be feline gingivitis, it makes their breath smell really badly and can stop them eating. If it is they may remove several teeth, but he should recover well from that.

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 19:23:26

This is 3rd time of trying to posy which isnt helping my state much right now!

Thanks for kind words.

To my mind its obvs liver damage and I think thats always permament except maybe peritonitis which cam be treated with AB's otherwise outlook bleak I fear.

This dcat is one of dc's. Once dinner done etc going to call the 24 hr line for update with DC as was at school when I took to vets earlier to try to get any info we can so far.

Teeth are white and good and gums are good with no inflammation or redness but breath has smelt ever since dcat got back but this was a chemically smell which I couldnt place but there was no blistering or anything?!

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 19:24:49

*post, obvs (not posy)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 07-Dec-16 19:24:58

Do you mean bleach in the loo, would a cat willingly drink bleach?

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 19:28:04

And yes I made sure to say about chemical possibility but couldnt think of name. Was a loo descaler type shock confused sad fuck fuck.....

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 07-Dec-16 19:31:28

I've never been Silvery, always PinkSparkly something or other.

I hope you get some good news when you phone the vet flowers

Girliefriendlikesflowers Wed 07-Dec-16 19:35:00

I would be really surprised if a cat would deliberately drink bleach or chemicals from a toilet, if he had previously been off colour there may be something else going on.

Hope you get some good news soon.

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 19:40:59

I only just notice for the first time the other cat drinking from down the loo! Never noticed it in the dcats before and I find it hard to believe ithey would drink it with the descaling loo cleaner in but its the only thing I can think of in terms of chemicals. I reallt dont think anything else accessible and had done loo right before it happened. Other thing I wondered was diabetes because of extreme obesity when he came back. That could be the smell but it didnt smell of anything apart from chemically (on top of stinky breath which he also came back with)

Vinorosso74 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:20:38

Fingers crossed for your cat. Our cat had liver problems and her eating reduced then she stopped eating/drinking/doing anything and was very jaundiced. It's quite a lengthy story but she's sitting looking at me right now 18 months on.
He's in the right place so here's hoping for good news.

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 20:30:01

Oh thats awesome vino gives some hope thank you x

jesterkat Wed 07-Dec-16 20:46:57

Was it a kinda pear drops acetony sort of smell from cat

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 07-Dec-16 20:55:52

Descalers are acid based, so I can't think a cat would drink it. It would be fairly dilute with the toilet water. As PP mentioned - pear drop / nail varnish remover type smell indicates ketosis, caused by burning glycogen in the muscles as an energy source when not eating. Hope you get good news from the vet soon.

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 21:23:16

That would account for the smell but then the smell left?

Partial update Kidneys scanned and good awaiting interpetation of liver scan and bloods. A little jaundiced and offering favourite foods currentlywhich would mean no op due . Further update due in morning.

Shriek Wed 07-Dec-16 21:25:47

Further update from vet. Liver scan shows some sort of abnormality.

Vinorosso74 Wed 07-Dec-16 21:33:15

Ok at least they know where the problem is. Try and get some rest flowers

EleanorAbernathy Thu 08-Dec-16 01:22:15

My girl had liver problems at the same age - she had similar symptoms, and the vet diagnosed hepatitis.
She had to stay in at the vets for a week on fluids and steroids but made a full recovery.
My first thought was hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) as you say he was a bit plump and lost weight - if it is it's very treatable and he's in the best place. flowers

Fingers crossed your boy will be OK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now