Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice about kidney problem

(18 Posts)
grafia123 Sun 04-Dec-16 16:33:07

Hello

My cat had a blood test done before she had her teeth cleaned. The results showed a high reading for one kidney. She had a second blood test done a few months later and the high result has increased. I handed in a urine sample on Friday and I am waiting on the results.

What kind of things should I be thinking of doing to help my cat? Is this very bad? I am worried.

My cat is a rescue cat. I have had her for nearly two years. I am not sure what age she is. Possibly around 7 years old. She mainly eats butchers classic. Should I change her to a more expensive, better wet food? Or look into raw? What would help her? What problems does this high reading cause?

She does eat a little dry food. Around 10 pieces twice a day day and a couple of treats before bed. Has her diet caused this?

I would be grateful for any advice you can give me. Thank you.

Also, what is the vet nurse likely to recommend I do?

dun1urkin Sun 04-Dec-16 18:20:20

Both of our cats had/have renal failure. I was devastated at the diagnosis for the first. He went on another three years and died at circa 17 (also a rescue, age uncertain)
He had to have a special diet that I bought from the vet, but I think it's widely available online and at places like pets at home.
Our other one has it now, and won't eat the special food so has other meds to help. He's 18 (ish) and is very much in his dotage.
It's not necessarily a death sentence, and can be managed for many years. Try not to worry too much in advance of a diagnosis.
I know that's easier said than done though flowers

grafia123 Mon 05-Dec-16 11:05:21

Thank you. I keep hoping it is something that is reversible but deep down I know it probably isn't. She does not have any symptoms of being unwell. Thank you for your reply.

Veterinari Mon 05-Dec-16 11:17:01

Please wait for the urine results - these are more reflective of any kidney problems. Any idea which values were elevated or by how much?

A selected protein renal diet may help but the most important thing is that she keeps eating.

She should also be screened for thyroid disease and gave her blood pressure checked as a high BP or hyperthyroidism can cause elevated renal values

grafia123 Mon 05-Dec-16 13:33:27

thank you veterinari I will ask about thyroid disease screening and checking blood pressure.

I cant remember which value was elevated. All I remember is it is one and it relates to one kidney. Hopefully I will know more today.

grafia123 Wed 07-Dec-16 13:56:26

I have eventually spoken to the nurse at the vets. I think from what she said that the kidney is working ok. The test on the urine showed some bacteria. There was a little trace of protein and ph a little higher. She has asked me to take my cat into her tomorrow to have a urine sample taken directly from the bladder with a needle. She will send it away to the lab and they will grow the bacteria.

So it sounds like it may be an infection that needs antibiotics.

cozietoesie Wed 07-Dec-16 16:21:12

Fingers crossed then. Let us know how she gets on? smile

Veterinari Wed 07-Dec-16 19:35:43

Ok that's good. Btw there is no blood test that shows damage in one kidney - only general kidney function. It's weird they've told you that the change represents a problem in one kidney.

If it's a free catch (non-sterile) urine sample then bacteria is normal - does your cat have any signs of a urinary tract infection? It's weird that they didn't just take a cysto sample initially if they were concerned about infection.

Assuming everything else was normal (urine concentration is the main thing to check) then that's good.

However if protein is being excreted then they may wanted start on medication (ace inhibitors) and should def check blood pressure and thyroid function, these would both be a higher priority than screening for a urine infection with no clinical signs or indication that such an infection exists

Veterinari Wed 07-Dec-16 19:42:07

Hi OP

Attached are the international society for feline medicine guidelines on the diagnosis of chronic kidney disease in cats - you'all see that the third most important step is blood pressure monitoring and ocular exam (to check for retinal haemorrhage caused by high blood pressure). Did they do any BP screening during her dental?

The BP really is essential to assess in cats and should be done before cysto (urine sample from the.bladder) as this is stressful.

You may want to seek out an experienced cat-friendly practice.
Good luck

grafia123 Sun 11-Dec-16 19:38:46

Sorry I havent been on here for a few days. My cat was really stressed by being kept in the vets all day for them to take the urine sample.

Thank you veterinari for your advice and attachment. I have been dealing with a nurse I am thinking I will make an appointment to see one of the vets on Monday or Tuesday if possible. I was told the results won't be back until Wednesday. I will get blood pressure checked asap. I will ask of it was taken when she had her dental. The nurse mentioned doing a scan of the kidneys.

My cat is showing no signs of a urinary tract infection. She appears very healthy. The only thing is that she is always hungry. Always wanting food. She 5.6kg and I am always told by the nurses I must get her weight down.

I will let you know what happens cozie I am upset because she has no signs of illness it has come as a shock. It is also very stressful for her to keep going to the vet.

Veterinari Sun 11-Dec-16 21:13:45

Hi OP PLEASE get her BP checked (stress from a potentially unnecessary cysto won't help!) and ask for her thyroid to be screened (increased appetite would fit)

From the info you've given I have no idea why they're working her up for a urinary infection and legally veterinary nurses are not allowed to diagnose. You need to see the vet who is managing the case (or take her to a more feline-friendly practice)

grafia123 Sun 11-Dec-16 21:37:23

I will phone them first thing in the morning and ask to see the vet. They do see alot of cats and as far as I know have a great reputation. Though they have taken on more staff so maybe they are getting too big. If I am not happy with what the vet says I will move to another practice. Thank you for pushing me to do the right thing. I really do appreciate it.

Veterinari Fri 16-Dec-16 19:09:03

Any news OP?

MrsWobble3 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:50:34

Sorry to hijack but one of our cats has just been diagnosed as diabetic. We have to start giving him twice daily insulin injections on Monday - the vet didn't want us to start over the weekend when they wouldn't be around to monitor him. He is 14 and has been overweight although has recently lost a lot of weight - one of the reasons we took him to the vets.

We were given a lot of information but the one question I wanted to ask but couldn't as dd was with me was about the prognosis and life expectancy. Is there any general guidance or is it completely cat specific?

Veterinari Sat 17-Dec-16 05:32:20

It's completely individual and will depend on his own response, dietary management, insulin sensitivity, weight and metabolism.

The good news is that it is possible for I'm to do well

Veterinari Sat 17-Dec-16 05:33:26

journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1098612X15571880

grafia123 Sat 17-Dec-16 21:10:40

veterinarian unfortunately I have no update other than I am changing to another practice. I am seeing the senior vet at another practice first thing on Monday.

The person I was seeing and thought was a nurse was actually a vet. She wasn't interested in taking blood pressure. She wanted another urine test done. She did agree to take another blood test to check for thyroid problems. I was supposed to go back for the blood test but cancelled and phoned around other vets in the area to see what they would say. Eventually found one that I think will progress things faster.

My lovely cat seems fine. Hopefully I will feel that I have done the right thing on Monday day.

Veterinari Mon 19-Dec-16 21:18:28

That's good OP. If you're cat is doing well then the new vet may just monitor - the initial blood test could have been elevated due to mild dehydration for example and may be an anomaly. Did the vet actually discuss what it is she thinks she's investigating? She seems to be running a strange battery of tests (cystocentesis and suggested ultrasound scans) and it would be interesting to know what exactly she's investigating and why no interest in BP as I had assumed that she was investigating a possible kidney problem....

It may actually be that your puss doesn't need much investigation at all, and repeating the blood and urine samples will just keep stressing her out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now