Talk

Advanced search

Greedy cats, or am I not feeding them enough?

(2 Posts)
SerialReJoiner Tue 29-Nov-16 18:30:20

We adopted a mother-daughter pair in the summer. Mum was about 1 year old at the time, so probably 18 months old by now. Kitten is about 8-9 months old.

Mum has always been a bigger eater, obviously, but now that the kitten is nearly the size of mum, their appetites still don't match up. We feed them between 1-1.5 tins of Butchers Classic food a day, once in the morning and once at night. They hunt at night, and probably eat all sorts of scary stuff when they do, if their digestion the next day is anything to go by!!

When they are after food, they act like they are going to die at any moment. The dramatics they can accomplish with the flick of a tail or a hard stare is pretty impressive!! When I finally feed them, they often scoff it down so fast they sound like they are going to choke. Mum finishes her portion and starts on kitten's food before she's finished.

They do act satisfied after eating, and wander off (leaving me at peace to finish making human dinner!) bit I wonder if they aren't getting quite enough on the whole. The vet warned me several times about weight gain after spaying the kitten, and tried to sell us their preferred/sponsored food brand. So I feel a bit pressured asking the vet for feeding advice, tbh. sad

Mum has filled out a lot since living with us. She was just a kitten herself when she had her litter, so perhaps the filling out is just part of adulthood growth rather than getting overweight? How do you even tell if a cat is getting overweight? Bmi charts???!

As you can tell, we've only had cats for aa short time. smile Any advice is gratefully received.

SerialReJoiner Tue 29-Nov-16 21:23:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now