Talk

Advanced search

Does your cat bite?

(59 Posts)
ShotsFired Tue 29-Nov-16 13:51:12

Do any of your cats bite?

Ours does - I think she is just playing as she only seems to "hold on" rather than really sink her teeth in (unless you try and pull away!). She usually does it when you are stroking her calmly and quietly - she'll suddenly just go for it.

She is a keen (indoor) huntress now, as evidenced when playing with her so I wonder if the two are related? She is also a very independent madam, although mellowing a little now.

Despite owning and caring for numerous cats over the years, I've never had this before!

Gowgirl Tue 29-Nov-16 13:55:10

Mine bites, she isn't playing though, she is kept away from thee dcs as she would hurt them, on the flip side there isn't a mouse for miles!

GinAndOnIt Tue 29-Nov-16 13:56:37

Ours doesn't. He uses scramming and hissing if he's pissed off. That's mainly at the dog though...

Germgirl Tue 29-Nov-16 13:57:17

Mine nips. Or rather 'holds' my finger when he's in a loving mood. Apparently they do it when they want to show you they love you.
Hmmmmmm

CondensedMilkSarnies Tue 29-Nov-16 13:57:39

Ours only bites me ! And I'm the one that feeds her . There's never any warning although she doesn't sink her teeth in thank god .

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 29-Nov-16 13:58:15

Only one does in the play/holding way you describe, never hard at all, the other three don't.
I think it's just her thing, she's actually very affectionate

froomeonthebroom Tue 29-Nov-16 13:58:18

Mine does, in a similar way to yours op. I'm not sure what to do, so following this thread with interest.

Soubriquet Tue 29-Nov-16 13:59:12

Yes.

Sometimes it's a love bite where she holds on to your skin gently but firmly whilst I fuss

Other times it's pure nastiness and it bloody hurts

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 14:01:51

Mine does. But gently. Usually is her way of saying stop trying to stroke me! She's not very affectionate unfortunately.

cozietoesie Tue 29-Nov-16 14:02:47

House rule at cozietowers - no biting in bed. (Which transmogrifies in cat minds - as the rules often do - to 'No biting at all'.) It's a SIN and they don't do it.

(The fact that I'm a terrible fidget in bed and would bite me if I had a chance, doesn't signify. grin)

TheCakes Tue 29-Nov-16 14:05:15

I was woken up to Ozzy biting my nose this morning. I think it means he loves me.

LouiseBrooks Tue 29-Nov-16 14:06:00

Mine does, but only me and he's never broken the skin. If he's hungry he will grab the back of my calves or, if I'm sitting down, jumps on the arm of the sofa and tugs at my sleeve. (I DO feed him regularly, he's just greedy.)

He also tries to bite me if I try to brush his stomach or clip his claws, when he goes into full time psycho cat mode and will also hiss and claw me at times.

He is also incredibly affectionate and loving though and the psycho moods are only occasional. He is 15 and I think he's just grumpy old man.

cozietoesie Tue 29-Nov-16 14:07:30

Actually, it means that you were late with breakfast! wink

Maudlinmaud Tue 29-Nov-16 14:09:40

Our old boy doesn't and never has. He is so soft and sweet. The newbie (18 mths) bites, jumps and claws at everything.
We can pet her on her terms only and if we pet too much or not enough you lose some skin.

susurration Tue 29-Nov-16 14:10:53

Yes, sometimes but less as time goes on.

Over stimulation can lead to bitey nips, as well as playing type bites. It is usually because you haven't noticed the 'you're pissing me off now' signals cats give. Sometimes thats a flicky tail or a flicky ear. Possibly they will stop purring if you're stroking them and they are fed up now.

Suscat bites if you're annoying her, which sometimes can be if you're just calmly stroking her and she'll turn and take a nip of you, especially if I'm stroking her absent mindedly and not paying attention. It is usually a warning to just leave her alone and not aggressive. When she bites we click our fingers near her and she knows that is undesirable behaviour and will usually move away. She knows now that clicking our fingers at her means she should stop whatever she is doing.

80sWaistcoat Tue 29-Nov-16 14:11:36

www.catexpert.co.uk/cats/the-petting-and-biting-syndrome/

Mine does this - is all calm and then just has too much and really launches at you. Have to watch out for the signs now as he's drawn blood several times.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 29-Nov-16 14:13:04

Sorry I have nothing useful to offer but your thread title made me think of this clip which always makes me laugh a lot!

stumblymonkey Tue 29-Nov-16 14:15:30

Yes....our foster cat does when she gets carried away with affection, it's a 'love bite'

TheWayYouLookTonight Tue 29-Nov-16 14:21:00

Yep, mine (2yo) does exactly as you describe - not hard, but 'holds on'. He gets very overstimulated by too much stroking, though is just starting to mellow as he grows up. I can generally spot his pupils start to dilate and tail start to twitch.

He is also not above the occasional nibble/nip when he's bored/hungry and feels he's being ignored - normally when I'm on the phone!

Jabuticaba Tue 29-Nov-16 14:27:38

No, I have the most pathetic cat on the face of the planet. He's never shown his claws either. I'm not 100% sure he even knows he's a cat.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 29-Nov-16 14:31:00

Mine nibbled my forehead once

ShotsFired Tue 29-Nov-16 14:33:31

Wow, we really aren't alone then!! grin

It could well be that she is 'done with the petting, now sod off!' thing.
She's a funny girl, complete opposite of what her former owners said in many ways. But she has developed some very sweet habits and it's plain to see she is very comfortable with us.

I like the idea of clicking. At the moment it's a short sharp "NO" and she loudly grumbles at us and runs/stalks off (comes back a minute later like butter wouldn't melt)

BorpBorpBorp Tue 29-Nov-16 14:58:52

BorpCat2 used to do the sudden bite-when-being-stroked thing, it was like something would suddenly flip in his brain. He was a bit simple.

BorpCat1 is the most laid back, tolerant cat ever. She has given me the softest warning bite ever once when I was really pissing her off trying to get a bit out of her cheek fur. She has also 'scratched' me on a handful of occasions - putting her paw on me to tell me to cease and desist, but with claws fully retracted.

TheCakes Tue 29-Nov-16 15:13:05

Oz also tries to cuddle me by jumping up, limbs outstretched, and grabbing on with his claws.
He's a very silly kitten.

hollinhurst84 Tue 29-Nov-16 15:13:58

Never ever. Doesn't claw either. Is happy to be squeezed and hugged and smothered with as much affection as you can give

He turned and opened his mouth once as if to bite and it turned out I had poked a huge abscess on his shoulder blush which must have been SO painful and he merely cried at me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now