Talk

Advanced search

Dry food, wet food or both?

(11 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Mon 28-Nov-16 18:52:31

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but would value your comments. Our cat eats a combination of wet food - Felix pouches, two a day, and dry food - Royal Canin biscuits, as a supplementary food. This is what she had in the rescue centre and what they recommended.
Lately she has shown a preference for the dry food, but I am reluctant to feed exclusively dry as I always felt some wet food was beneficial. Also Royal Canin is expensive if that is all she is eating! Any advice gratefully received.smile

FuzzyWizard Mon 28-Nov-16 20:40:29

Mine prefers biscuits to wet too but having seen a much loved cat die of kidney failure relatively young I would not feed dry as the main food, especially as mine shuns the water bowl and shows no interest in running water either. She has two pouches a day with extra water mixed in. 10g of biscuits are her treat in the evening.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 28-Nov-16 21:50:21

Fuzzy thank you, that was my impression that dry food only is not good. Sorry to hear about your poor catflowers I will persevere with the wet and maybe change the brands a bit to keep her interested.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 29-Nov-16 08:54:30

Mine will only eat one specific dry food, I have tried him on every wet food under the sun and he's having none if it. He is, however a good drinker. I can see that water has gone from his bowl and he's often spotted drinking water from flower pots in the garden. If he didn't seem to drink water, I'd be more concerned.

marmiteandcheeseplease Tue 29-Nov-16 08:57:31

My 7 year old cat has always refused wet food so is exclusively dry food fed, but drinks a lot of water. He refuses water out of a bowl but will drink it out of a large plastic jug and does drink a fair amount.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 12:20:44

Weeds and marmite thank you for your replies. Interesting about the drinking. She does drink a bit but not loads and I do worry about her getting enough fluids. She's eaten all her biscuits this morning and ignored the wet food, I think I may have a bit of a battle in my hands.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:34:54

They seem to like rain water if he has outside access (once it's been sitting a while and developed a bit of colour) and, despite the "constant access to fresh water" advice, he definitely prefers his indoor water "bowl matured" for a few days!

Hellmouth Tue 29-Nov-16 12:40:45

From what I understand, they're good for different things. Also, she will get a lot of water from the wet food, which is why you won't see her drinking water as often. So, for those reasons, I would say try to stick with both smile

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 12:55:28

Bowl matured grin** Cats are bonkers. I like Fuzzy's idea of a few biscuits as an evening treat. I think I might try this and see how it goes.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 29-Nov-16 12:56:00

Bold fail in last post, no idea what happened there!

GinAndOnIt Tue 29-Nov-16 13:04:37

We do both. He has a bowl of wet in the morning and a bowl of dry in the evening. He is on the rather large side (rescue) and eats god knows how many mice a day, so I try not to feed him much more than that. I don't think the wet food fills him up very much so I like him to have dry too.

He is bloody obsessed with wet food though. We tried to just do dry the same as GinDog, but he was having none of it. Now the sodding dog has wet food as well because he looked so miserable seeing the cat having pouches 🙄

He drinks a lot though. Mainly out of the dog bowl of course, before going off to sleep on the dog bed. Just so the dog knows his place. I once found him drinking loads of water one day and couldn't figure out why. Then I found the bag of dry food knocked off the counter and spilled open while I'd been out and he'd probably eaten so much he was dying of thirst. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now