Talk

Advanced search

When to start giving 'senior food'?

(6 Posts)
Ni58 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:59:30

Just that, really. Have noticed that the packs of Whiskas pouches say senior is 7+ but that seems quite young to me. Our cat has just turned 7 so should I be making the change? What is different about the senior wet food?

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 17:07:01

Cats are living longer these days, what with better nutrition and health care etc so the cat bodies have changed their classifications. This is the latest ICC one.

The pet food manufacturers just haven't caught up yet.

Ni58 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:22:32

Thanks for the link!
So what would you do? Carry on with regular food or make the switch?
I still think of her as a kitten to be honest - she definitely still behaves like one!
Is there any benefit to the senior food?

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 18:10:57

You really need to consult a veterinary nutritionist on this - but my 'understanding' is that senior food may - depending on brand - be a little lower in calories, to compensate for lower activity levels, and may have a very slightly different balance of nutrients to cater for ageing bodies.

I've only ever fed regular food though.

DomesticAnarchist Mon 28-Nov-16 18:21:51

Try switching to the expensive stuff you buy from the vet instead.

They recommended the Royal Canin one for us, and I very skeptically agreed to try it. Expected nothing. But DCat looked amazing within a month; fur softer & more dense, skinny spine plumped out. So we're hooked in now!

MiaowTheCat Mon 28-Nov-16 18:26:19

With my old cat (who made it to about the age of 13 or something bonkers like that) I never could bring myself to buy her senior food. I always had the irrational fear she'd read the label and take offence at being labelled as "old".

Totally bloody daft but there ya go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now