Talk

Advanced search

Should I rehome my cat?

(24 Posts)
TheRavensFeather Mon 28-Nov-16 16:32:00

He is 2 years old. Had him from 12 weeks. He is a BSH and was my baby. I adore him.

He was raised as a house cat. I didn't like him going outside because even though we live on an avenue rather than a main road people drive like maniacs. Also my previous cat went missing, never to be found again sad Searched high and low for months.

Considering he is a pedigree too I thought it best he stay in.
Only he has other ideas.
When he is in the house he lives like a king. He has expensive food and chicken. He sleeps with me on my bed. He sits with the kids getting belly rubs.

But AS SOON AS the door is open he bolts. 100mph like a flash.

And once he is outside he will NOT cone back in.

In the house he is my shadow. Outside he acts like I'm the child catcher.

I recently got him back after 2 months. Yes 2 MONTHS of him being outside. He will not come near humans once he is 'out'.

I have a very busy household (4 small kids) and there's no inner door between living space and front door so there's no real way of keeping him in. He gets out everytime.

I leave food out for him.

It took me 2 months to catch him and he ran away again within a week when we were leaving for school.

I have been trying to catch him for a fortnight.

It's so stressful.

He seems to be content inside but then leaves.

It wouldn't be a problem if he just went out for a bit and came back but I literally have to set a trap to catch him. It's ridiculous.

I can't keep him inside.

My choices seem to be leave him to be ferral or contact a rescue and see if they have a very quiet household. Like maybe an old lady who doesn't answer the door much?

I just don't know what to do. If he is in my garden and I open the back door he is gone before i even get a foot on the floor sad

It's devastating. I feel like noone wants to be around me anymore. Even my cat sad

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 28-Nov-16 16:35:13

awwww.. don't be down on yourself OP.

I'd suggest making a sort of kennel, but for a cat, outside if you can. somewhere near your back door. then treat it like a revers of letting a cat out. Keep a warm bed and food in the outside kennel and leave your back door open a crack, wedge omething there if necessary.
You may find that once hes free to come and go that he'll come in and see you, then wander out, but it might take a while.
In the mean time he'll have a warm bed and food and a place to sleep should he need it.

Justaboy Mon 28-Nov-16 16:39:51

Ever though of getting Sir a cat flap?. He can come and go as he chooses like our moggie does had no problems with him. Sometimes he's out for the best part of the day and night too. Its what they do and like doing especially ours loves chasing mice and bringing them back alive so he can have some sport with them;(.

If he comes to harm well that's a possibility ours once had a scrap with ginge the tom across the way nothing that a few nights in the exclusive puss hospital down the way didn't put right only £500 sheets eh;!

Though sometimes they may well clear off and there maybe someone else around might be feeding puss. Ever heard that bit Dogs have owners but cats have staff;!

TheRavensFeather Mon 28-Nov-16 16:40:14

When he is 'gone' we leave windows open and back door etc... not once has he come back in voluntarily.

He sleeps under our neighbours caravan with a bed under there. Neighbour is very kind and knows the situation. Keeps an eye on him and catches him when he can but that's only happened once.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 28-Nov-16 16:50:30

I wonder if he knows you are trying g to catch him which just makes him more elusive. But if left to his own devices with a cat flap he might be a bit more amenable to coming in.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 28-Nov-16 18:46:52

I second the idea of a cat flap. I think my cat would be a bit like yours if she didn't have free access to the outside. As soon as she was allowed out she spent hours and hours out there. As if she was making up for lost time having been confined to a pen at the rescue centre. Initially, If I tried to get her in she would just run away. She needed to learn that she could do it at her own pace. A few months in and she comes and goes freely, and spends time equally in and out.

TheRavensFeather Mon 28-Nov-16 19:07:41

My landlord won't allow me to fit one. He actually had a no pets policy but very kindly allowed me of have 1 cat. I wouldn't want to push it.

RubbishMantra Mon 28-Nov-16 19:15:51

A real time GPS device like this on a safety quick release snap-off collar (the elasticated ones can cause horrific injuries or death.) will show you where he is if he goes for a wander.

I currently use a Loca8tor on my cats' collars, but when it's time to replace, I'll be going with the real time GPS tag.

Have you tried having little excursions pottering in the garden with your boy, before meal times, (so he's hungry for his dinner)? With a stash of prawns/Dreamies/treat of choice about your person? And get him used to the sound of treats being rattled. Like Pavlov's dog training.

I've got 2 cats, a mog and a Devon Rex, they're both allowed access outside during daylight hours.

I don't think re-homing is the answer, as he'd be re-homed as an indoor only cat anyway.

RubbishMantra Mon 28-Nov-16 19:23:15

*...oh, and just to add, I have a fairly busy road out front, so I placed the cat-flap in the back, which leads out onto gardens, enclosed by an L shape of terraced houses, if that makes sense? I don't allow them out front. Ever. Sometimes Little M, the Devon, makes a dash for the front door, and then just sort of stands on the pavement looking a bit confused .

RubbishMantra Mon 28-Nov-16 19:31:16

*...oops me again. Just read the bit about LL disallowing a flap. If you've got a PVC back door, I think it costs around 50 quid to have the bottom panel replaced with one with a flap. Keep the original panel, and re-instate if/when you move.

Justaboy Mon 28-Nov-16 20:31:49

TheRavensFeather have you asked at all?, if your a good tenant otherwise its not an unreasonable expectation if suggested it is a door that can easily be converted back then make a deposit to cover that when you terminate.

I rent a few properties and in two of them they have pets one a dog other a cat and their both looked after very well properties and animals. And if i didn't find that the animals were looked after properly then that would change for the animals benefit!.

yeOldeTrout Mon 28-Nov-16 20:35:40

Y would he be rehomed as indoor only? confused

What a little devil cat, OP. Where in the world does he sleep on cold nights, I wonder.

OlennasWimple Mon 28-Nov-16 20:36:10

If you did re-home him, where would he live? Anywhere would have a door to the outside, and risk him getting out... So I would keep him, try to get a cat flap fitted, and if not set up something outside for him. (Not food, though, I'd worry about foxes and other vermin being attracted to it)

AddToBasket Mon 28-Nov-16 20:41:51

What home do you think he needs? If you can chill out about it, would your neighbour mind the cat sleeping there more often?

RubbishMantra Mon 28-Nov-16 21:51:59

I assume that was directed at me Trout?

He'd be re-homed as an indoor cat because that's essentially what he is. Apart from when he escapes.

Diggingupdaisys Tue 29-Nov-16 16:42:10

Hi, we had a similar issue with our last cat. Pedigree Birman was meant to be a house cat, we had even signed a thing with the breeder that he wouldn't go out. Well he had other ideas 😳. We had him escape a few times which was s major stress as had a main road out front luckily he always went out the back. We eventually managed to move to a more rural area when we had kids. He was so determined to get out he even opened a window. We gave up on him being a house cat put in a cat flap introduced him to the garden. He only went out in the day as he was food oriented he always came back to eat. He had a lovely life, he loved hunting and to my discust brought back baby rabbits most days. Despite what his breeder said he did need to go out, cats do need it really.
Don't rehome your cat just give him freedom as cats need. Feed him at set times indoors. A cat flap helps. If he knows you want to catch him he is probably less willing to come to you, cats are contrary creatures but it's getting cold and cats don't like the cold so he may be more keen to be in a nice warm house. Good luck

MsMims Tue 29-Nov-16 17:20:01

I would either cat proof the garden so he gets a taste of the outdoors without being able to clear off for months, or a pen with a run that he can go in during the day when little ones are likely to let him escape.

Something like this

You can get the pens cheaper than that and also insulate them/ use heaters.

ButterfliesRfree Tue 29-Nov-16 17:32:02

I guess he finds being inside chaotic with four kids. Some cats just do. Can you give him a part of the house where the kids don't go. Somewhere quiet? Or can you provide more up high spaces for him to climb up to. Cats like being up high. They like to watch and not always be petted. When they are ready and feel safe they will come down and want petting - that will probably happen when your kids are asleep. I imagine that's why he escapes outside. Most cats even the nicest and friendliest cats can take s preference to be outside. We had a cat that used to go and spend time away outside spending time alone living in the trees for weeks at a time. If I ever saw him her ignore me. Be like who are you? The minute he walked back in the door home he was my best friend. We used to say he went on holiday. Honestly he was happy doing that. He always came back. But he just needed his time out I suppose. Cats can be strange. Lovely but strange.

thecatneuterer Tue 29-Nov-16 17:39:45

I also think a cat flap would solve the issue. We only home nervous/semi feral cats to homes with cat flaps for this reason. Once they get used to the idea that they can go out whenever they want to they become more and more happy to be inside.

And yes, if you have a pvc panel door you could put one in and then sway back the old panel before you leave.

yeOldeTrout Tue 29-Nov-16 20:35:36

He had 2 months solid of living only outside but still is "essentially an indoor cat"? confused

yumscrumfatbum Wed 30-Nov-16 16:16:28

I have similar issues with my cat. He had previously been a house cat but the rescue centre advised that he needed access outside. This was because he escaped into the roof space at the shelter. It was mission impossible keeping him in for the first month as advised. He's been with us for around 5 months and gradually spends less and less time indoors. Twice he has been gone for 5 days. Mostly he comes in and teatime once a day. I'm pretty disappointed it wasn't the relationship I had hoped for but I have resigned myself. He is happy and healthy and I figure that is what really matters x

EarlGreyT Wed 30-Nov-16 20:36:23

Is he neutered? I hope that's not a really stupid question but I couldn't see the answer in your posts.

TheRavensFeather Wed 30-Nov-16 20:41:41

Yes he is neutered.

The problem isn't him disappearing for a few days. I could handle that. It's that if he gets out thats it. He's gone. For months if I can't catch him. He's living like a homeless cat and I'm afraid someone will take him thinking he IS homeless.

Landlord won't allow a cat flap. Was very nice about it but was a no.

Diggingupdaisys Thu 01-Dec-16 12:16:04

What breed is he? Cats normally like home comforts so to stay out in cold weather by choice is a little strange?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now