Talk

Advanced search

Discomfort when eating

(15 Posts)
fuzzyllama Mon 28-Nov-16 13:30:52

I've booked my boy into the vets this evening as he has struggled with eating the last couple of days.

He has James well beloved senior biscuits and has looked visibly uncomfortable when trying to eat, he will take some up, seem in pain when chewing, will then spit them out and give up after while. I've tried soaking them and also supplying wet food, and even on the wet food he is struggling.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar with their cat, just so I can get an idea of what to expect (and pay blush) this evening.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 13:51:40

How old is he? And when was his mouth last checked?

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 14:00:36

By the way - does he have water available and if so, is he drinking it?

fuzzyllama Mon 28-Nov-16 14:42:39

He's a rescue so not 100% sure on age but I think about 10, and yeah plenty of fresh water available, although he prefers to drink out of puddles and the water butts outside. I check his teeth fairly regularly, he does have some plaque to the back teeth, he will not have them brushed though. He won't allow me to check his mouth thoroughly at the moment to see if there's anything visibly wrong. I was wondering if he may have an abscess or something, he can be a bit of a bruiser with other cats.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 15:24:28

Well he's to see the vet, If I recall? It sounds, initially, like a mouth problem to me. (My apologies to your CC.)

fuzzyllama Mon 28-Nov-16 19:21:50

The vet gave him a look over and couldn't really see anything notable, other than a scratch on his gum, given antibiotics and pain relief and just have to see how he goes, if he doesn't improve over the next couple of days we will be back for blood tests.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:27

A scratch on his gum? Has he been chewing something he shouldn't? (Does he have 'tendencies' that way?)

fuzzyllama Mon 28-Nov-16 20:16:20

Nope, not a usual thing for him. I thought it looked more like a scar if anything, the scratch looked way too clean, there wasn't any redness or inflammation around it, which you would expect esp if it was infected ?

He's really perked up since having the injections and has eaten a good amount of wet food.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 20:50:12

Most odd - although good that he's eating again. smile Maybe one of the vets who post will see your thread and give a view?

fuzzyllama Tue 29-Nov-16 22:13:53

Eating is much improved today, he has been quite restless and I've noticed this evening the right side of his face has swollen, I'm wondering if this could be the major factor in his discomfort ?

fuzzyllama Tue 29-Nov-16 22:14:46

Hard to see the swelling, but his eye looks much smaller than the other as a result.

cozietoesie Tue 29-Nov-16 22:23:46

Maybe give the vet a buzz tomorrow morning and let them know? smile

cozietoesie Thu 01-Dec-16 00:04:34

How's he doing?

fuzzyllama Thu 01-Dec-16 08:02:20

So much better, the swelling has gone and he's showing no pain when eating now, even managed to eat all of his breakfast this morning plus his brothers biscuits, so it's business as usual here smile

cozietoesie Thu 01-Dec-16 18:41:28

Good. smile

A little bit of a mystery, though, I think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now