Talk

Advanced search

New Cats and Wee issues

(13 Posts)
DollyParsnip Mon 28-Nov-16 12:51:34

Hello,

We adopted 2 cats a month ago from CPL, they are both settling in beautifully and seem very happy with us.

We have a Mum cat, about a year old (Poppy), and her Son (Mills), 5 months. Both eating, drinking and exploring and both using their litter tray very happily.

However. Mills has started weeing on things in the house. Started with the sofa, then in a basket and now it's on a cat bed Poppy uses, both on the bed and the cushion. We clean it up asap and use a pet odour / stain remover but it's becoming a bit of an issue and I don't know why he's suddenly doing it. Any suggestions?

For info - he has been done, they share a litter tray as suggested by the CPL lady and use the same litter she did.

Thank you!

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 16:09:52

I'd put another tray in for starters. Many cats don't even like using the same tray for pooing and peeing but to use the same tray as another cat might be stressing them. Or him, rather.

jaspercat2002 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:15:53

It might be an idea to ask the vet to check that he doesn't have a UTI or cystitis or something that is making him need to wee urgently or making it a bit uncomfortable as that can sometimes be why they look for soft things to go on. You really need more than one tray for two cats - most recommend one per cat plus a spare but I think at least one each.

I feel your pain - we have struggled on and off with our boy cat doing this for pretty much his whole life so nip it in the bud now if you possibly can.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 16:21:40

Good idea about checking him out at the vet as well. smile

PolterGoose Mon 28-Nov-16 16:27:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DollyParsnip Mon 28-Nov-16 16:41:40

Thanks so much for your advice.

I'll see about another tray, maybe 2 and see if that eases things. They are both in at the minute but will eventually go outside - the CPL lady advised waiting until spring as they've never been outside before.

We feed them Purina One and either Felix or Whiskas kitten food (as suggested by the CPL lady and their Vet). I've looked at other brands but wanted to get them properly settled before changing too much at once. They drink well too.

It seems more of a behavioural thing, like he gets a little jealous (he pees on DH's side of the sofa. And peed on Poppy's bed when she interrupted me stroking him) but I could be overthinking it a bit grin

And here he is.....

Toddlerteaplease Mon 28-Nov-16 16:53:58

One of my rescues wee'd on the sofa for about 6 weeks after I got her. It stopped when I put more litter in the tray. Do t know if it was just coincidence though. Started again after I'd been away for a weekend. Tried all the sprays and two vet trips to rule out medical causes. Only stopped as I put cushions on the sofa to block access to her favourite spot.

PolterGoose Mon 28-Nov-16 16:57:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 17:02:34

Very cheeky. grin

I don't think you are overthinking it, really. If they're having a dominance battle - is Poppy a soft thing? - then he could be 'protest peeing' if she 'wins' at something.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:12:26

I'd definitely get a urine sample to the vets, for £10 or so they can rule out infection. The only symptom mine shows is weeing in the house.

But yes, more trays & ankle deep litter is popular here too. It's got to be ultra clumping not ordinary clumping. The rougher ones are hard on paws not hardened from being outside.

Personally I'd let them out. It's freezing cold and birds are thin on the ground. In the spring there will be fledglings everywhere.

chemenger Mon 28-Nov-16 17:19:08

I would go for another litter tray and the vet. I would also say that if you are going to let them out now is as good a time as any, they are less likely to go far in cold nasty weather. Let them out before you feed them and then you can tempt them back with food.

By the way that is a very cute cat!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 28-Nov-16 17:22:32

Is he maybe marking his territory because he is feeling a bit insecure? Spongecat does this when she is stressed. Has co-incided with building work etc. I always plug in a Feliway, and she settles down again. Annoying while it goes on though.

DollyParsnip Tue 29-Nov-16 07:02:05

We have a shopping list, for a new litter tray and some Feliway stuff - and cross fingers!

Poppy is a very calm, quiet little thing. Mills loves playing with people, with feathery sticks or balls (or toes) and follows you whereas Poppy is much more solitary - she plays with a little mouse she carries around and loves chasing a ball but is less sociable. She sits with me during the day but takes herself off if it gets too much for her. I do think Mills gets jealous if I do something with her but I didn't think cats were like that smile

Nothing else has changed though.

Wrt to letting them out, we will give it a go once my neighbour has sorted his fences out as it's currently not secure. Though based on this morning's freezing frost they may think we're punishing them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now