Talk

Advanced search

My girl is having the op next week any advice for me?

(23 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sun 27-Nov-16 01:00:56

Shes my first and only. Im dropping her off at 10 am vet will ring me to pick her up. Do i need to do anything at home for her.? She sleeps on a chair but im assuming she will have to be floor level at first?

thecatneuterer Sun 27-Nov-16 02:46:43

You don't need to do anything at all except keep her inside for a few days (3 minimum). You'll find she'll be jumping around as normal (and it won't do her any harm). She won't know anything has been done.

EachandEveryone Sun 27-Nov-16 13:47:01

Brilliant thanks im not looking forward to taking her food away and i hope she still fits in the carrier!

PurpleMcPants Sun 27-Nov-16 13:49:33

I know it's a bit different for boys but my boy had his done last week, he was at the vets for around 6 hours and was bouncing around as soon as we got home. They gave me some bland food for the first meal which he wolfed down as he was starving. Kept him in for 4 days (they don't stitch boys up, so it's an open wound), he was climbing the walls! It's all been very smooth and easy.

EachandEveryone Sun 27-Nov-16 15:59:00

She doesn't go out so far I do t know if this will make her want to or not. I live in a flat so am in no rush for her to go out. I have to check her in st 10 am but she won't have the op til the afternoon

LowDudgeon Sun 27-Nov-16 16:03:01

When I had a pair of sisters done their reactions were completely different, which leads me to suspect they have individual reactions to the anaesthetic! One sat like a stuffed toy staring at the wall for a couple of hours & the other was flying round the room (they do tell you to try & keep them quiet & still for a bit but there was no chance of that!)

Both were back to normal by next day anyway & didn't appear to feel any discomfort.

Good luck smile

EachandEveryone Sun 27-Nov-16 16:11:45

Did u manage to keep the collar thing on

LowDudgeon Sun 27-Nov-16 17:08:48

Mine didn't have collars - considered unnecessary at the local vets confused

They only licked the incision a bit though - I know some cats will nibble at it but with the dissolving stitches they use now there aren't any loose ends sticking out

LowDudgeon Sun 27-Nov-16 17:18:01

This was taken about 4 days afterwards - both cats quite content smile

They were 5.5 months old - this was 4 years ago, many vets are doing it much earlier now. No idea why they shaved such a huge area for that tiny incision right at the edge!

EachandEveryone Sun 27-Nov-16 18:17:51

Omg thats a massive area she will lose all her beautiful markings!

LowDudgeon Sun 27-Nov-16 18:54:42

This is my other girl cat - she was done at 4 months (you can see how much smaller she is)
She has beautiful markings too & they came right back so don't worry smile

Wolfiefan Sun 27-Nov-16 18:56:43

Please do ask for collars. We were given one for the two cats as it wasn't necessary. One chewed through her stitches. It was traumatic.
Once I insisted they kept on the collars they healed really well and their gorgeous markings came right back!

LowDudgeon Sun 27-Nov-16 18:58:55

I was given collars, Wolfie - didn't need them though (luckily, because mine were very resistant grin)

EachandEveryone Wed 30-Nov-16 19:42:00

I cried like a baby leaving her! I went to collect her and theyd had her out pasding her from one to another, they really are all loveky at the vets. Shes been crazy a home since theres no calmness at all!

LowDudgeon Wed 30-Nov-16 22:20:00

Oh she looks fine smile

That collar is much better than the stiff plastic ones mine were given - they were really awkward to put on & adjust.

She'll probably be 100% ok tomorrow!

EachandEveryone Wed 30-Nov-16 22:27:49

Will she be ok if she wants to eat while im asleep? The vet gave me some bland food and she didnt touch it. I gave in and give her a tin of her usual and she wolved it down but i pulled the collar back. What if she trues to eat in the night though wil, she beable to reach it?

LowDudgeon Wed 30-Nov-16 22:35:41

If she's had a whole tin of food this evening I reckon she'll be ok till the morning without any more

You could think about taking her collar off then

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 01-Dec-16 10:29:27

Looks like she's doing very well. My girl has gorgeous markings too and they grew back. The spay didn't bother her much at all (the collar did, but yours has a nice flexible one which looks better). My other girl was spayed before I adopted her, and she was very sick, malnourished and weak at the time - frankly she should not have been operated on - but she came through it just fine anyway. When I had a boy, who sadly died young, he did not appear to notice he'd been neutered, barged out of his carrier and wolfed a huge pile of food!

EachandEveryone Thu 01-Dec-16 14:17:23

She hasnt had it on all day and is bavk to her normal self. I almost resebt having to take her back to the vets at rge crack of dawn for a check up!

Janey50 Thu 08-Dec-16 17:18:49

I have owned or co-owned 11 cats throughout my life so far,8 were female,3 were male.With only one exception (one of the girls) they have all bounced back within a couple of hours of having their ops. The one exception slept for several hours after,and seemed a little 'out of sorts' for a day or 2. But after that she was fine. And don't worry too much about her losing her markings OP. They more than likely will grow back. As for collars to prevent pulling at stitches,only one of our female cats needed one of these.

EachandEveryone Thu 08-Dec-16 23:34:00

Oh the collar lasted a day shes back to her old self. The vet did say shes developing a fat belly so i will have to do something about that.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 09-Dec-16 06:35:49

Pretty girl!

EachandEveryone Fri 09-Dec-16 11:33:51

Very annoyed girl today ive moved her giant post to accomodate the Christmas tree. Shes not happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now