Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My little cat died

(35 Posts)
EmmaCourtney Mon 21-Nov-16 15:57:16

My lovely little black cat died at the end of last week. She didn't come in for dinner on Thursday evening and I was worried. DP and I spent all of Friday looking for her; and then I saw on a local FB page that a little black cat had been found dead on the road very close to our house. I'm just so so sad. I feel so guilty for having moved house relatively recently (about a year ago) to a house on a busy road. I'm just going to miss her so very much. I still keep expecting the cat-flap to click with her nose pressing against it, or for her to rush in when I open the back door. She'd been with us through a lot, and was such a loved member of our family. I can't stop crying. I just wanted to post somewhere where people will understand.

TroysMammy Mon 21-Nov-16 16:14:00

I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking they are part of the family and their loss leave a big cat shaped hole.

It's coming up to the 3rd anniversary when Barnaby was knocked down and killed. I drive past where I found him every day but it's only in November I get a lump in my throat.

flowers flowers

cozietoesie Mon 21-Nov-16 16:15:03

I'm very sorry.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Nov-16 16:20:56

Horrible way to lose your girl, I'm so sorry.

Lilybensmum1 Mon 21-Nov-16 16:22:53

Ah I'm so sorry to hear this, it's awful.

timtam23 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:20:10

So sorry Emma, what sad news.

SealSong Mon 21-Nov-16 17:25:23

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking, and words can't take that away, I know.
Try to take some comfort from the fact that she was very loved and cared for during her life, and try not to feel guilty about the road....sadly it could have happened anywhere.
flowers

Vinorosso74 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:39:56

I'm really sorry. How horrible. Cats are part of the family so it's perfectly natural to be devastated when you lose them. RIP little black cat and take care OP flowers

Meemolly Mon 21-Nov-16 19:10:47

I'm so sorry. Our cat had to be PTS 2 weeks ago as she had kidney failure. I miss her terribly, nothing is the same without her here. Do you want to talk about her a bit more? How old was she? What was she like? It might help to write down abit about her. Look after yourself though.

SureStartRedemption Mon 21-Nov-16 19:16:38

I am so sorry to hear that Emma. They are part of the family, no question and the house definitely feels emptier without them. I'm sure she had a great life with you, take care of yourself.

EmmaCourtney Mon 21-Nov-16 19:27:40

Thank you all so much. She was called Matilda - we called her Mattie. We got her from a rescue centre in Essex when she was 6 months old. She was a very small, slight black cat with a white 'Miliband' splash on her neck. Very timid at first, but she soon became very fond of us. I became pregnant very soon after getting her, and we spent most of the pregnancy lying on the sofa together; her sleeping on my bump. She dealt so well with the arrival of our first child, despite being quite a needy little cat - she didn't bother us when we were feeding our baby; but was clearly so grateful for some attention once our daughter was down in her cot. And then, when our daughter started crawling, she was so tolerant and long-suffering. I felt so guilty when I got pregnant a second time and found out it was twins, knowing that Mattie would be sidelined again. But again, she dealt with the new arrivals so well and tolerantly - and they really adored her; learning to stroke her gently. We moved house last year, and Mattie was really happy in the new place - she quickly discovered lots of favourite places to curl up; and was much happier in a big garden with no other cats to challenge her territory. She became really sociable: when we had friends over for dinner, she'd jump up into a high chair and sit with at the dinner table, looking quizzical. I just feel so guilty for moving her to a house on a main road. I've only just discovered, since she died, that there are enclosures etc with which we could have cat-proofed our garden to make sure she didn't get out of the front. Her body was found further away from our house than she'd normally go, so I can only imagine that she was chased down the street, became disoriented and scared, and ran out into the road. I just feel so guilty and sad - for not having enough time to devote to her properly; for disrupting her life so much; and for moving her to such a busy road. The whole move has been pretty upsetting for me anyway, for various reasons, and I had a major bereavement 2 years ago; and losing Mattie just feels like the last straw.

Gatekeeper Mon 21-Nov-16 19:32:17

I am so sorry Emma sad ...she sounded absolutely wonderful and she obviously gave back as much love as she was given

Can you post a photo of her so we can all smile at her and give her a little wave 'goodbye'

EmmaCourtney Mon 21-Nov-16 19:38:26

Here she is.

LazySusan11 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:41:20

I'm so sorry, she looks beautiful. Sending you hugs I don't care how unmumsnet it is! flowers

AmberNectarine Mon 21-Nov-16 19:41:56

Oh Emma, I'm so sorry. I lost my boy in similar circs over the summer, though I was the one who found him. He was only just 1.

I now have a 5mo kitten who I just can't face letting out as I'm terrified of it happening to him. However, I viewed a house today with a lovely big garden which backs onto a field so I think he could be safe there.

Be kind to yourself, it's not your fault x

EmmaCourtney Mon 21-Nov-16 19:42:07

Thank you

Gatekeeper Mon 21-Nov-16 19:42:26

what a beautiful darling girl...love black cats with a passion

Goodnight Little Mattie- you are loved

Gatekeeper Mon 21-Nov-16 19:43:51

and no...it wasn't your fault

AmberNectarine Mon 21-Nov-16 19:44:08

Oh she's so beautiful. My boy would never go out towards the main road, but I found him just on the other side. I had heard a commotion the night before (when he didn't come home) and can only assume he just ran in a panic. It was late, he was also black.

You will be able to remember her with joy in time, I promise.

Autumnchill Mon 21-Nov-16 19:46:17

She's beautiful and I'm sorry for your loss flowers

Herecomedanotherone Mon 21-Nov-16 19:52:29

She's beautiful. flowers for Mattie and you. X

AmyInTheBoonies Mon 21-Nov-16 19:52:57

Oh what a lovely cat. How heartbreaking.

So sorry this has happened, I've sadly lost two cats in this way and it's very hard. Not only did I feel devastated, but so shocking and there's the regret of letting them out. Even though you could never know. flowers

TheCatsWhiskers Mon 21-Nov-16 19:57:51

How devastating for you, please don't think it's your fault. flowers

She was very loved and that's what you should remember in time.

Our family always have a toast to pets, both present and lost, on Christmas Eve and it's a nice way for them to be remembered. Although some visitors may think we're mad, we don't care!

FuzzyWizard Mon 21-Nov-16 20:00:34

What a beautiful little cat. So sorry. flowers

EmmaCourtney Mon 21-Nov-16 20:08:54

Thank you all so much. And I'm so sorry for everyone who has suffered similar losses. flowers I never expected to feel this devastated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now