Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything better than frontline for fleas

(23 Posts)
whathaveiforgottentoday Sun 20-Nov-16 22:02:39

I've been doing my 3 cats monthly with frontline but they've still managed to get fleas. I've only found the occasional fleas on the boys and they seem clean now, however I don't seem to be able to get my female clean despite the frontline and regular combing.
I also sprayed the house about 3 weeks ago with indorex (not sure on spelling!).
Anybody got any ideas? Can the vet help? We do live fairly rural and the boys do catch mice etc regularly so could be bringing in fleas.

swoonmacaroon Sun 20-Nov-16 22:05:50

Advocate is better than Front line.

maloryt0wers Sun 20-Nov-16 22:06:58

Frontline doesn't work for ours. We have to have something on prescription from the vets. Expensive and a faff because the vet wants to see them before giving it to us but it is amazing stuff. Ask the vet is my advice.

therealpippi Sun 20-Nov-16 22:07:41

Frontline doesn't work well anymore.

Get advocate or anything on prescription from the vet

Wolfiefan Sun 20-Nov-16 22:11:15

Advocate here too. Need a wormer too but not every month!

amysmummy12345 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:11:22

We use frontline but it has to be the one from the vets in the green pipette, not the blue one that's available in pet stores...

iklboo Sun 20-Nov-16 22:15:57

Definitely Advocate. Frontline has stopped working. Try petfleas.co.uk for prices.

user1467976192 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:18:30

We get ours from the vets, they do a healthy pet plan which includes flea and worming treatment a 6 month check and their jabs for £9.99 perhaps worth checking if your vet does a similar thing

Sleepybeanbump Sun 20-Nov-16 22:19:28

Advocate. The over the counter stuff is pointless.

NoMoreAngstPls Sun 20-Nov-16 22:20:39

We use stronghold.

Vinorosso74 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:21:24

Yes, we use Stronghold that and Advocate work. I think Frontline lost effectiveness a few years back.

MrsWooster Sun 20-Nov-16 22:36:09

Front line is useless ime. Advantage seems to have done the trick without prescription.

DanyellasDonkey Sun 20-Nov-16 22:42:34

We use Advantage on our boy which he hates but is always very effective

whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 21-Nov-16 18:08:23

Thank you all. I will be buying some at the vets this time to make sure we get the decent stuff.

ProfYaffle Mon 21-Nov-16 18:10:44

Another vote for Advocate. A few years ago we got horribly infested while using Frontline hmm

Tubbyinthehottub Mon 21-Nov-16 18:57:21

Definitely something from the vet

InsaneDame Tue 22-Nov-16 20:29:20

The fleas are immune to the active ingredients in Frontline due to overuse in other pesticides.

You have various options - an injection called Program which lasts 6 months but doesn't kill the fleas just prevents them from being able to reproduce but effectively stops the life cycle.

Comfortis, which is a tablet that starts killing the fleas within 30 minutes, lasts for a month and is helpful if you are able to tablet your cat as at least you know they have had a full dose. With spot on treatment it can be hard to make sure ALL of the medication gets on the skin. Also, my cat hates having a spot on put on.

There are also various effective spot on treatments available. My favourites are Bravecto which lasts for 3 months and Stronghold which I have used the most and have never had any complaints.

amysmummy12345 Tue 29-Nov-16 00:00:07

Gah since this thread my DD has been bitten to shreds!! Sprayed house with indorex today and hoovered through, going to vets tomorrow to see
Whether they do advocate or advantage... Bloody frontline 😒

RubbishMantra Tue 29-Nov-16 01:04:39

Avoid Bob Martin products like the plague though. At best, they're ineffective, at worst they can poison your pet.

GardenGeek Tue 29-Nov-16 01:06:25

I got told by my vet that Broadline is better than Advocate

JenLindleyShitMom Tue 29-Nov-16 01:08:20

My vet gives me broad line but I found a flea on my boy cat a couple of days ago.

GardenGeek Tue 29-Nov-16 01:12:12

Just checked it out and I think the reason is Advocate doesn't do Tapeworms; it reduces the prevention through stopping fleas who transmit or something but it doesn't actually prevent them in itself or treat them which Broadline does.

I knew it didn't do one but I can't remember which, but as this is the only info I can find I am assuming it is this tapeworm one.

GardenGeek Tue 29-Nov-16 01:12:55

Sorry tired part of that didn't make sense grin, but I think you get the jist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now