Talk

Advanced search

Why is my young cat almost completely deaf?

(8 Posts)
Brontebiscuits Sat 19-Nov-16 10:08:08

She's only 2ish. a rescue cat who probably had the calcivirus (think that's what it was called?) Over the last few months we've slowly realised she's not hearing just about anything except the odd noise at a very particular pitch. Thing is, I'm not sure if she's always been like this and we just haven't realised (had her for 1.5 years) or if it's something that has slowly developed! another problem is that's she a complete hellcat at the vets so they can't get near her to have a look but there's certainly no sign of infection or irritation at all. (she let's me look). I had an old car who went deaf due to polyps but he had awful discharge etc. Could it be the calcivirus that caused it?!

Brontebiscuits Sat 19-Nov-16 10:08:36

oh and she's not pure white - just a black and white mog.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 19-Nov-16 10:10:07

Does she have a white coat as white cats often have a congenital deafness?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 19-Nov-16 10:10:18

Ha x post smile

cozietoesie Sat 19-Nov-16 12:54:45

If she has no sign of infection or other problems, I'd guess that she maybe has a birth defect. I'm assuming - as a rescue cat - that she's already spayed, so you shouldn't have kitten issues. How is her sight? smile

Brontebiscuits Sat 19-Nov-16 15:59:34

Thanks both. Yes she's spayed. Her vision seems hunky dory! Eyes like saucers when she's out and about, head constantly turning this way and that - maybe to make up for the lack of hearing?

cozietoesie Sat 19-Nov-16 18:24:48

The trouble with being out and about - for a deaf cat - is that they can't hear danger approaching. The sound of a vehicle for example. sad

Does she have unrestricted access to the outside?

Brontebiscuits Sun 20-Nov-16 14:18:33

sorry I've just seen you further reply. yes she does have unrestricted access I'm afraid and the safety side of it does occur to me. We do live at the bottom of a very quiet cul de sac and there are large gardens that our house backs on to. She loves being outside and I would hate to restrict her - plus her 'sister' rescue cat also goes out, it would be all but impossible to stop them both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now