Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your cat with dementia please

(9 Posts)
Offler Wed 16-Nov-16 10:05:30

Hi, my elderly boy (about 15 - was a stray, so not sure!) started acting very oddly last night, wandering aimlessly, stopping in corners, not fighting back when he's picked up for a cuddle etc.

He's recently had surgery (a week ago) to remove some teeth, so he's not been himself for a while and we lost our old girl back in October too (they were not best friends though).

Took him to the vets this morning, and she said that he was healing well, and no signs of infection. Possibly still in pain, so got to give him some loxicon painkiller and take him back on Friday, but she said it could be the onset of dementia, maybe triggered by recent trauma of the pain, the anaesthetic etc or it could be temporary and he'll snap out of it.

If it is dementia, what can we expect, what should we do to help him?

thecatneuterer Wed 16-Nov-16 10:24:55

I had one with a much slower onset than that. She just keep getting lost. She did though always manage to get from my back garden to the front, and then would get lost on the street. I put a locator collar on her and just went around 'locating' her every time she went missing.

She also became a bit more vocal. She went on for a couple of years like that and seemed happy.

What you're describing seems more sudden and more severe. I have a feeling the symptons could calm down a bit with time. No of course knows though.

cozietoesie Wed 16-Nov-16 10:29:06

Yes - see how he does with the meloxicam and a couple of days under his belt. I'd keep to a very strict routine with him and keep the place toasty warm. Then it's pretty much a 'Wait and see' game, I suspect.

Good luck on Friday.

cozietoesie Wed 16-Nov-16 10:36:42

PS - it's possible that he might have had a minor brain incident what with all that's been going on with him recently. Cats can often recover really well from them - so relax a little. My own old boy had what I think was a small stroke 3 or 4 years back (he suddenly became terrified of tv remotes and books - really terrified.) I just got through that one by taking him up to bed and playing lots of box sets so that he had warmth and a constant noise source that he liked.

(I ended up with square eyes but he's been fine since. Them's the breaks! grin)

Offler Wed 16-Nov-16 15:28:19

He's been 'odd' for a while, hasn't done a solid poo for ages (always runny and squirty) which he's been back and forth to vets for blood tests and stool sample, that revealed nothing untoward. His teeth were checked and looked sore, so got a few taken out (only got 5 left now, only 1 canine).

Since our other cat passed away (was quite sudden - thrombosis) he's been very much changed, hasn't been going out as much, staying in the room with us, wanting more fuss etc which he never did before. We'd only had our girl for about 3 years (another rescue from a neighbour who didn't want her anymore - moving away) and they never really bonded, she'd bully him away from his bowl, he'd take a swipe at her given the chance in the garden etc. So we've not been sure if he's lonely or happy she's gone and he gets to rule the roost etc 😁 But this behaviour last night was very disconcerting 😟

Offler Fri 18-Nov-16 18:39:42

Well it was back to the vets this evening, he is a little better, not wandering quite so much, so possibly just related the the anaesthetic he had, but he's not right 😟.

She also examined his stomach again, and could feel a thickening in there, which could be the cause of his runs, but needs a scan to investigate. So it's back on Monday for a tummy shaving (I'll have to knit him a jumper 🙂). Poor old boy 😢

Vinorosso74 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:29:30

The runs can be treated. A simple diet change or steroids can reduce any inflammation (as long as he isn't diabetic). Our 14yo diabetic cat is currently on a drug callled Chlorambucil which is an immunosupressant and is fixing her poo issues!
I'm sure your vet will have a plan once they've scanned him. Not the best time if year to be shaved-maybe a Xmas cat jumper will be needed smile

Brontebiscuits Fri 18-Nov-16 19:34:59

I wonder if he might be hyperthyroid. has that been mentioned as a possibility?

Offler Fri 18-Nov-16 20:09:14

He's had full bloods done, and vet said they were great for his age! We've been prescribed canigest to put on his food, and eating Royal Canin sensitive cat food (pricey !!) I guess we'll just have to see what Monday brings 😟

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now