help please. new kittens

(23 Posts)
stayingdry Wed 16-Nov-16 09:31:48

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but here goes...
My partner found a bag of kittens dumped in the car park at his work and subsequently we now have 2 of them!
We think they are about 6 weeks old and very very shy.
I have them in one room as Google says this is advised but as a neat freak I'm hating the smell.I'm changing the litter trays several times a day and hoovering which they hate.Any top tips to help with the stink highly appreciated. Unfortunately there's no window in the room only patio doors.I'm considering catching them and putting them in the basket for a couple of hours so I can leave the doors open for a morning.
I'm home during the day as work nights so I do let them wonder the rest of the house but they don't seem to want to as yet.
Help please any kitten expertssmile

longdiling Wed 16-Nov-16 09:35:23

Why does it smell so bad?! I have a kitten and shut her in the living room over night and apart from the odd poo in the litter tray it doesn't smell at all really. Oh and her food smells briefly until she's scoffed it all.

If it's a litter tray smell maybe try different types of litter (I prefer wood) and a tray with a lid/cover

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 09:37:41

Ok so....

Use wood litter-it holds the smell better. You can flush the poop down the toilet too. You need at least two trays-preferably three so they have a tray each. They use the toilet as a marking territory type thing too.

Feed them kitten milk(not cows milk) and feed them little and often.

If you can I'd cook fresh fish/chicken at the moment.(freezer ones are fine-just boil them).

Don't hoover every day if it's frightening them. Use a dustpan and brush for the big pieces. Put them in a different room when you're hoovering.

Give them lots of toys or they'll destroy your house. Encourage playing and have patience with them. They've probably had a rough start.

Ask your vet for a flea treatment asap as it's likely they'll have fleas imho and it's v difficult to get fleas out of your house once you have them.

Use a blanket(teddy or fleece is best) as their blanket and encourage them to sleep on it as it will get their scent on it and relax them. Put the blanket wherever they sleep-you can't choose where a cat sleeps unfortunately...nature of the beast.

And a picture please!!

PolterGoose Wed 16-Nov-16 09:39:23

Unless they're ill it really shouldn't smell that bad. What are you feeding them and are their poos solid?

There's a good chance they'll be riddled with fleas and worms and I think you'll need a vet to advise on best products to use as they're so little.

PolterGoose Wed 16-Nov-16 09:39:35

We do need pictures smile

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 09:41:41

If they were still with mum they'd be suckling for another 2-6 weeks.

Feed them soft food like chicken/fish as it's higher nutrients and biscuits will be too hard for their teeth now.

Cow milk will make their poop smell....

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 09:43:18

Also...don't shut them in one room.

You'll be able to open windows in other rooms and the smell shouldn't be too bad if you're airing the house

BertrandRussell Wed 16-Nov-16 09:48:40

I assume they've been to the vet?

Cat poo is the vilest smelling of all the poos, but please don't Hoover round them- they are very tiny and in an ideal world would still be with their mother. In any case, you don't
want a cat poo infused Hoover.......You need a designated dustpan and brush.......

TillyApple1 Wed 16-Nov-16 09:49:59

I've bought them kitten food and given them water. Didn't know I should be giving them kitten milk.I can sort that today.
They are pooing regularly and are solid mainly.
Will take the dustpan and brush idea on board thankyou☺
All suggestions gratefully received thankyou

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 09:55:45

Also for the time being could you get a cardboard box and a blanket for them? They will feel safe in there together (preferably near a radiator). Keep all the flaps of the box closed apart from one flap - cut that off so they can get in and out.

They are tiny and need comforting

claraschu Wed 16-Nov-16 09:58:35

Have you taken them to the vet? You probably have, but if not, you should do this right away.

You sound a bit put off by them, really. Healthy cats don't smell bad at all, (though though a dirty litter box will smell of course). If I were you I would spend lots of time just sitting quietly near them so they get used to me, tempting them with tidbits, coaxing them, adoring them. I think if you spend time with them you will fall in love.

Pictures?

cozietoesie Wed 16-Nov-16 10:21:09

Cuddle them as much as you can. They're only tiny right now so need a warm and beating heart close to them as much as possible. smile

Someone on the board once said that they had an old dressing gown they wore and would pop the kittens into the top folds while it was on. That's actually rather a good idea, I think, if you can find one with a belt. Tie the waist tightly and then stick the kits next to boobs above the waist. smile

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 10:26:37

And if you decide that these kittens aren't for you I'm more than happy to take them...I'm a cat person and love them to bits.

TillyApple1 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:37:21

Thanks all.The vet has suggested as they're so timid to leave them a few days before taking them there so they're booked in for an M.O.T next Wednesday.
In the mean time off shopping for a ton of toys wood based cat litter,kitten milk and to handle them as much as possible,job for the kids too,easier said than done as they think they're Linford Christie.
Maybe me not be so clean freaky too.grin
Thanks all for your help.Will keep you updated on their progress and post photos if they ever sit still😆

MissBattleaxe Wed 16-Nov-16 10:44:56

When my cats were kittens they pooed as often as babies do- around 9 times a day. It settled as they got older to once a day. Also kittens don;t wash themselves properly until they;re older so they are a bit stinky. Like PPs have said, wooden/rolled litter is better for odour control. I always find gravel type stuff stinks to high heaven within five minutes.

Good luck and well done for giving the poor things a home.

Jonsnowsghost Wed 16-Nov-16 10:53:10

Try not to handle them too much, you may make them more scared. Best is to just sit in the room with them quietly reading to let them come out and explore you first, you can even read aloud to them so they get used to your voice. As a warm body they will probably come round in no time!
They don't really need kitten milk, water is fine, but get some wet kitten food for them. You may need to mash it up a bit for them!
We need photos!

TillyApple1 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:50:30

Here's a photo of one. the braver one. Got them coming out to say hi abit now,had massive strides in the last hours with them.☺

cozietoesie Wed 16-Nov-16 15:14:07

It sounds as if you've cracked it. By tomorrow morning, they might well be roaring around the place. smile

TiredAndDeadly Wed 16-Nov-16 15:42:57

Very cute. Any names yet?

TillyApple1 Fri 18-Nov-16 15:17:55

Still very nervous but they come out and play when we're all in the room now☺
Named Kaspar and Flo.
Still hard going but took all advise and let them do their own thing and gradually they're getting their confidence and we are starting to see their individual characters ☺☺
Vets booked for next Wednesday so hopefully by then we can handle them more.

Soon2bC Fri 18-Nov-16 15:40:31

best thing i ever had for my kittens was a covered litter tray, in fact i am ashamed to say that the first 12 hours we had it the smell was so reduced i forgot to check it and by the time i remembered it was full ....poor babies!
They are beautiful! love their names

cozietoesie Fri 18-Nov-16 16:18:37

I'm told - in no uncertain terms - that a tray has been used and could I please go directly and clean it! grin

TillyApple1 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:28:15

Quick update..kittens really settled.Happily chasing each other and generally getting in the way ☺
Vet checked and had their 1st jab.One boy and one girl so we were right there.
Had someone after one of them but I was a little suspicious of them so they are staying put with us☺
Wood based cat litter works a treat and an inscence cone lit a couple of times a day works great.
Thanks all☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now