cat has gone a bit bats

(4 Posts)
arwenearlythereyet Mon 14-Nov-16 19:57:45

Hello all. I would be v grateful for some advice. Our lovely 9yo moggy is suddenly behaving a bit oddly. He's started stalking and occasionally biting me. Haven't seen this behaviour since he was a kitten, and he and I were both cooped up in a flat - me working from home and him as a indoor cat in London. (We've lived in the country for years, and he's been outdoors for years.)

There's a but of associated behaviour - running around like a crazy cat - that I also have not seen since he was very little. He is maybe a little hungrier than usual, but I don't see anything else that feels wrong or different.

I am not particularly hassled by the stalking / playing but he also bit my DD the other day - just nips, not full on bites, but enough to shock and upset (and hurt) her. I have tried to offer him a toy to play with when he starts up, which seems to help, but not always possible - like if I am working or watching strictly

So he needs to stop this - but what do you suggest? Anything I can do? And should I take him to the vet?

Thank you!

ThomasRichard Mon 14-Nov-16 20:04:15

Yes I would take him to the vet to see if there's anything obvious causing this.

Frecklesfrecklesfreckles4 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:04:23

Yes, I would take him to the vets for a full clinical examination as a starting point. They may want to run a blood profile, for example, hyperthyroidism can cause an increase in appetite and hyperactivity/behavioural changes.Is he drinking any more? If physiological reasons are ruled out then they'll probably assess if he has a behavioural problem. Good luck!

arwenearlythereyet Mon 14-Nov-16 20:13:41

Thank you. Vets it is. Hypothyroidism!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now