Talk

Advanced search

Elderly cat and badly matted fur

(7 Posts)
cuibozo Sun 13-Nov-16 21:14:29

Do i need to shave him? It's on either side of his tail and is really badly matted. He's a shorthair moggy (neutered) aged about 16.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:47:46

I would get the vet to do it, their skin tears easily. He'll be a much happier cat for it.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 13-Nov-16 21:50:26

your vet will do this for you it wont be pretty but it will be so much more comfy grin

cuibozo Sun 13-Nov-16 21:51:14

Brilliant thanks! I was worried about hurting him. He won't appreciate it but has to be done grin

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:53:38

Don't try scissors, whatever you do. My old cat tolerated electric grooming clippers, but end result was a bit like the sheep dog on the Specsavers advert! Your best bet is vet or professional groomer.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Nov-16 21:57:16

Has he stopped grooming himself there?

RueDeDay Sun 13-Nov-16 22:08:44

I managed to detangle a friend's cat (by request!) by cutting through the knots half way down, ie leaving him with quite a lot of fur, but then the rest of the knot brushed out fairly easily. Took about a week of working in small 5 minute sessions now and again. Cat much happier afterwards, still had enough fur to look normalish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now