Talk

Advanced search

Applying Spot on treatment...

(24 Posts)
yummycake123 Sun 13-Nov-16 16:44:07

What's the best technique to apply spot on? My cat can sense I'm going to do it and doesn't even let me near him. I used to be able to grab him and put the drops really quickly but now I can't even get hold of him!

LivingInMidnight Sun 13-Nov-16 16:51:57

One of mine just sits there (he's lovely), the other is a nightmare. I got a cat dangler and as she was pouncing managed to do it. She refused to come near me for days after that. Seriously considering bravecto for her because we were both traumatised. Her next treatment is due on Saturday and I'm dreading it.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 13-Nov-16 17:05:47

Is that the injection one. I might try that. Mine are easy to get to sit still but are long haired so difficult to get it on the skin.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 13-Nov-16 17:10:54

I do it while they're eating. House could fall down and the greedy feckers wouldn't notice.

They're long-haired so I put it on the bit where their collars have rubbed away the fur.

LineyReborn Sun 13-Nov-16 17:12:22

I've got one who, if we even manage to catch her, struggles so wildly that two adults can't hold her down. Nightmare. Can't get her to the vets either as she won't go in the box.

Any advice? She's a spayed 11 year old female. Lovely otherwise.

To date I've crushed tablets in her favourite cat food, but they're not as effective as spot-ons like Advocate and Profecta.

LivingInMidnight Sun 13-Nov-16 17:56:07

toddler it's a treat style tablet, and that cat is nicknamed piglet so it should work! She will eat anything.

Liney can't catch her either! She has to go for boosters in December, I'm hoping I can throw a treat in the box and she might follow it.

RubbishMantra Sun 13-Nov-16 18:11:19

When it's spot-on time, carry a wooden toothpick and drops on you at all cat cuddle times. When your cat's cuddling with you, stroke the head. When they're lulled into a false sense of security, part the hair, gently on the back of the head with the toothpick. When you see a nice parting, apply the drops, rubbing it along the parting with the nozzle of the applicator.

They don't even notice when you do it like this.

LivingInMidnight Sun 13-Nov-16 19:24:24

That wouldn't work for me unfortunately, she's not a cuddly cat (yet) and is suspicious of everything! It's a good idea though.

LineyReborn Sun 13-Nov-16 19:30:18

Mine would lacerate my arms. And legs. She's done it before.

Only when it's spot-on time.

LineyReborn Sun 13-Nov-16 19:30:59

It makes me wonder if it burns her or feels bad?

Deux Sun 13-Nov-16 19:34:50

I put the pipettes in my bra or pocket of my jeans so that they don't get the shock of a cold liquid.

I stand behind the cat and put one hand under their chest so that I lift them up a little then do it swiftly with thenother hand. Our cat was fairly compliant once I warmed up the liquid.

yummycake123 Sun 13-Nov-16 19:43:56

I tried the cuddling but he ran off before I could empty the pipette! I can't restrain him, if he goes crazy he scratches and bites me.
Will have to try again later...

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:31:30

I sit on him. It looks worse written down than it actually is.

LivingInMidnight Sun 13-Nov-16 20:33:41

Liney think the smell is putting mine off too. When I treated the other cat she gave him a wide berth. Hopefully it will get easier. At the minute if I just stroke her with 2 hands she panics. She's got a real fear of being picked up. Don't like to think what happened in the past to cause it.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:02:01

Normally a 2 person job as current cat is fluffy and previous was long haired. Trying to part fur, hold cat and apply needs more hands than I actually have! Current cat is very placid but will wriggle round to lick me while I'm trying to treat him.

TheWayYouLookTonight Mon 14-Nov-16 15:45:49

I agree with Fluffycloudland77 - sitting on them is definitely the best option! One knee either side of them, one arm wrapped around the chest and front paws, then spot-on with the other hand! Trying to pick them up and do it is just asking for trouble. They need to be using those paws to stand up, not having them free to claw you...

The other thing I find essential is to get the spot-on ready (cap off, pierce the seal etc) while the cat is out of the room. Mine knows the sound of the cap coming off and will run away if I do it near him.

TupsNSups Mon 14-Nov-16 15:49:04

I sit on him, Wait till he is eating then straddle him from behind grin

Gatekeeper Mon 14-Nov-16 17:59:00

I sit on ours as well..in a sort of half-Nelson grip and then whang it on in three dots

Cup of tea and biscuits and a dreamie for the Little prince

hollinhurst84 Mon 14-Nov-16 18:10:29

When they're asleep wink
Get them used to have head stroked and fur ruffled. I can do it now and he only notices at the final drop when he wakes up and glares at me

LivingInMidnight Sat 19-Nov-16 15:00:12

Deux thank you! I warmed it & it seems to have made all the difference! She barely noticed it!

I also waited until her face was in the box I use to store the little tubes of thrive treats grin

Tinkerbubbletrouble Sat 19-Nov-16 17:07:34

I catch mine and hold her And mum helps me by putting the treatment on. My mums cat, we have to sneak up on her when she is asleep. We both came out pretty mangled the last time we tried it when she was awake!

ememem84 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:11:38

I did my semi feral cat for the first time earlier this month. Just got her while eating. I'd gotten her used to being patter while eating so just did it quickly. She had no idea. I was surprised at how easy it was...

bertsdinner Sun 20-Nov-16 17:58:13

My cat hates this. My sister has to come and hold him while I put the drops on. He flinches and jerks away when the drops go on. I'll try warming it next time, but I think he hates the smell.

Hoojimmaflip Sun 20-Nov-16 19:35:14

My cat is a big brute and spot on would send him into a frenzy for hours. Tried the warming technique, with dh holding him gently on the floor (you can't pick the cat up) and he barely flinched! Big thanks to whoever suggested this. It's a monthly ritual which has been transformed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now