Talk

Advanced search

How can I wean my rescue cat off litter tray

(8 Posts)
Sunflower6 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:48:26

My existing cat doesn't have a litter tray, I now also have a rescue cat aged 1 who has been kept indoors whilst I got her spayed and settled. She goes outside now never for long. She is coming back in and using her litter tray.

Do I just remove the litter tray?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:09:13

I wouldn't, ours doesn't use his for months. Then he'll do a huge wee in it or the runniest sloppiest poo overnight.

She might like her tray, she might decide pooing outside is the best thing ever. It should be her decision though.

cozietoesie Thu 10-Nov-16 20:19:19

I'm with Fluffy. Why get rid of it? You can check their health with it (via the workings of their innards) and it can be used overnight if they're on curfew or in lousy weather. It also saves poo in the flowerbeds etc.

smile

Sunflower6 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:24:33

I don't really have anywhere ideal to keep a litter tray long term I don't have a utility room or porch, it's in spare bedroom at the moment

MrsWooster Thu 10-Nov-16 20:36:15

Bit less litter in it day by day and put it near the cat flap then one day just outside the catflap then less and less litter til she gets bored and goes off to do it elsewhere battens down hatches against tirades from people who think cats should not shit outside

Sunflower6 Fri 11-Nov-16 07:58:49

I just caught my 7 year old cat who has been going outdoors for toilet since a kitten using the new cats litter tray! He'd walked further to use it than popping outside.

cozietoesie Fri 11-Nov-16 11:04:50

It sounds as if they prefer it - and with the current weather, who can blame them? wink

Look on the bright side. If you had no trays, they could be peeing and/or pooing on any old patch of house floor, carpet etc etc.

ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:41:50

I have to have a tray behind the TV in the living room because the baby cat of the family decided that was the ONLY place he'd wee hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now