Which brand of microchip cat flap is best?

(8 Posts)
Sunflower6 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:45:45

I want to get a microchip cat flap to stop my neighbours Tom cats getting in our house, is one brand better than another? One of my cats is a little nervy are the microchip flaps tricky for cats to use?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 10-Nov-16 19:48:20

We have had a Sureflap for about three years, never had anything else, it keeps out our neighbours cats but they batter it a bit sometimes. Our cats took to it straight away.

Rollypoly100 Tue 15-Nov-16 13:59:43

Sure flap is great. Quite expensive but worth it. It makes a loud click which the Furries took time to adjust to but now it's fine for all!

Icequeen01 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:35:22

Another vote for Sureflap here. We are on our second one - not because first one broke, just because we had a new door put in and I wanted a new shiney cat flap to go with it confused They have a great customer services department too.

Icequeen01 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:40:03

Also meant to say if your cat is quite large go for the pet flap size rather than the cat flap. I have two largish ginger boys and had an elderly fluffy girl. When we had our first flap it was the cat flap size and my old girl struggled a little to get through. The boys were able to come through ok with a bit of effort but we decided on the larger one second time round ready for when the boys are less agile.

TheWayYouLookTonight Thu 17-Nov-16 16:30:10

I've got the Cat Mate elite with microchip control and timer. Never had any problems with it. I like the fact you can see on the display whether each cat (up to 3) is in or out, and how long it is since the cat last went through the flap.

Rollypoly100 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:40:53

I think that's what we should've got. Our older girl has free access all the time but the little guy doesn't go out at night. I think it's the Sureflap curfew mode we need.

ClaudiaNaughton Fri 18-Nov-16 22:16:15

Another vote for sure flap. Stopped a huge black cat visiting nightly to scoff Claudicat's food and having an amble round the house including upstairs.shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now