Introducing a new cat/kitten

(16 Posts)
Itsalwayssunny Tue 08-Nov-16 15:59:00

DP and I are thinking of getting a second cat, we currently have a very spoilt girl dcat who is 1.5 years old. She doesn't take too kindly to other cats in her garden so we are unsure about whether to introduce a second cat into the house.

Can anyone give any advice? Was it successful for you? We ideally would like to get a rescue cat but I'm wondering if a kitten might be less stressful for dcat as she is very playful herself and can still rule the roost.

TIA

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 08-Nov-16 18:07:06

No advice but following. We also have a 1 1/2 yr old, were told by the rescue that she doesn't like other cats. I have been wondering about introducing a rescue kitten at some point in the future, not for a while as we've only had ours since the summer, but at some point in the future. Just seems such a shame when we could easily accommodate another rescue.
Let me know how you get on if you go ahead!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:06:42

I wouldn't bother if they don't like cats. It's a load of stress when it doesn't work.

tessiegirl Tue 08-Nov-16 19:08:43

We are going through this at the moment!
We have a four year old girl tabby. We live in Sarajevo and last Wednesday I was out for a walk with dd and came across a cute little tortoiseshell kitten up a tree! Of course I took her home! We had no idea how the tabby would react as she is a house cat and growls at the cats she sees outside from our balcony. We have introduced them very slowly. The kitten has her own room where her food, litter tray and bed are but during the day she now has the run of the house. Tabby hissed and growled first couple of days quite badly and I was worried they wouldn't get on. However, it will be a week tomorrow and although we still have a few growls from tabby they don't seem to be getting on too badly. They have even sniffed noses! To be honest I think the fact it is a kitten we are introducing has made the introduction a lot easier as a kitten is seen as being less threatening. Any other questions, please ask! smile

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 08-Nov-16 19:12:09

Fluffy that's what DH said. I hate it when he's rightangrywink

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:13:58

Pretend you went off the idea instead. There's no living with them when their right.

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 09-Nov-16 18:35:37

Good plan.
How about a puppy....grin

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 09-Nov-16 19:01:31

Well I'd have gone for jewellery.

cozietoesie Wed 09-Nov-16 19:15:46

I'm not a good person to advise. I tried my darnedest over a long period but the resident cat wasn't having any of it. smile

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 09-Nov-16 19:33:03

I introduced a kitten to my cat-hating, grouchy set-in-her-ways 9 year old girl this time last year. kitten was sleeping and living separately with new bowls and litter tray for a good two weeks with scent-swapping. once they went toe-to-toe the judicious application of time-outs and dreamies smoothed the way.

they're not exactly bosom buddies but they are far from spitting enemies. both now live with DP's ruffian ginger and white boy and it's gone Quite Well with minimal skirmishing.

I didn't think miss Made Of Knives would ever tolerate another cat. kitten was very small when she came to us and quite full-on but taking it verrrrry slowly helped. older cat has taught littlely how to Cat effectively and in turn kitten has given older cat a bit of a spring in her step.

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 09-Nov-16 19:52:16

Fluffy you are indeed wise. Diamonds it is.

cozietoesie Wed 09-Nov-16 19:53:26

Sometimes it's down to their personalities. The Lodger was pretty well setting up a card table and swapping dirty jokes with next door's tom within about 20 minutes. (Next door's boy made a natural wingman to him - they used to sit down together peaceably in the sunshine under the tree outside. ) He got absolutely nowhere with Seniorboy, though, try as he might.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 10-Nov-16 08:24:39

I wouldn't do it either. I only have two because Zara was here first, and Bibi was younger, smaller and sick so she ingratiated herself rapidly before rising to top cat. I wouldn't say they're bosom buddies (probably wouldn't miss each other if either disappeared), but they rub along fine together, do a bit of mutual grooming, and if Bibi gets too much for Zara she just removes herself from the situation. I would not introduce another cat to Bibi. She might eat it.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 10-Nov-16 08:24:48

I wouldn't do it either. I only have two because Zara was here first, and Bibi was younger, smaller and sick so she ingratiated herself rapidly before rising to top cat. I wouldn't say they're bosom buddies (probably wouldn't miss each other if either disappeared), but they rub along fine together, do a bit of mutual grooming, and if Bibi gets too much for Zara she just removes herself from the situation. I would not introduce another cat to Bibi. She might eat it.

Nelleflowerpot Thu 10-Nov-16 11:28:35

Don't do it!
We did once massive mistake cats never got on they had fights and even urinated around house as marking. Cats are solitary creatures keep you life and home happy stay with the one or get a dog our fighting cat hating cats still always got on with the poor long suffering dog!

cozietoesie Thu 10-Nov-16 12:20:39

My cats have long regarded the family dogs as - pretty well - no account stupid lumps. The dogs generally put up with their place as long as they receive their good outside time. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now