Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about a kitten, need some advice please

(11 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Mon 07-Nov-16 23:36:17

We are thinking of getting a kitten. My DD 7 has wanted one for ages and so we are now seriously considering it as I think she is old enough. I've never had a cat before. I work 3 days per week, but very close to home and could pop back lunchtimes most days going forward. So kitten would not be on own for more than 4 hrs at a time. I would take a week off initially to settle the kitten in and then could take extended lunch breaks using some annual leave for a couple more weeks. Would this be okay for the kitten or would it be distressed?

My other question is about timing. We don't have any holiday away from home planned until next June, if I got a kitten soonish, would it be old enoug to cope with a cattery or cat sitting service? How old do cats have to be for this generally?

All advice appreciated.

chemenger Tue 08-Nov-16 10:05:41

My advice would be to get two if you can afford it. They will keep each other company, play rough with each other so you get scratched less without being a lot more work. Two kittens are the most entertaining thing in the world. You will feel better about putting them in a cattery or leaving them with a catsitter as well.

NotAPuffin Tue 08-Nov-16 10:11:03

Definitely two! They interact with each other in ways that they won't with humans, and they're great company for each other. Our two aren't related but have lived together for 13 years and while they appear to completely ignore each other at this stage (they're getting old and cranky!) they definitely miss each other if one is at the vet.

And I wouldn't bother using leave, to be honest; they sleep for 16-18 hours a day so they'll learn to be awake while you're there and then sleep while you're not.

TheFurryMenace Tue 08-Nov-16 13:08:02

Thank you both for your replies. Sadly, u think 2 kittens would stretch us a bit too much, so kitten would be an only.

Wolfiefan Tue 08-Nov-16 13:11:08

Stretch money too much? Think carefully. At the end of her life old girl was costing us £60 a month on pills.
Kittens play. Relentlessly. Even with two to amuse each other and me sitting up until midnight with toys they ripped up inside the sofa and attacked all moving toes and fingers.
Kittens need food and insurance and micro chipping and flea and worm treatment and neutering and litter. Etc.
Older cat may be happier as an only and not need neutering.

ginauk84 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:54:58

One is nice as it will bond with your DD better, if you have two, yes they will play together but they will also bond together and yes they will bond with you but perhaps not as much as if you had just had the one. Am assuming your DD would love the kitten to engage with her lots so I personally think you would be better with one unless you get a high energy breed when they do recommend two but I am guessing you are thinking along the lines of a moggie.

Most catteries are quite luxurious and have all the mod cons so I can't see that the kitten would be too young. Just inspect the places before you book the kitten in. Re: checking on the kitten I would have thought he/she would be fine with you checking in as suggested. Mine tend to sleep all day and come alive of an evening.

TheCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 17:20:57

We've got an only and he's had time with a cat sitter. I couldn't have put him in a cattery - I'd have felt dreadful as he was only little, but we did our research and have a lovely lady who will pop in and feed, cuddle and play him twice a day if we're away. She sends us pics by Whatsapp which is really reassuring.
Your working pattern sounds fine too.
Don't worry too much. Kittens are lovely little things, and ours seems to cope with everything as long as he gets his food and warm milk.

Janey50 Tue 15-Nov-16 17:33:55

Definitely agree with chemenger and NotAPuffin about getting two if you possibly can! But whatever you decide,my experience is that very young kittens spend a great deal of time sleeping. When I was 15,my parents got 2 gorgeous little girl kittens. My mum was a bit anxious about leaving them alone for 6 hours one day during the first week,while she was at a lengthy hospital app,and everyone else was at work/school. So a neighbour had them for the day. They spent 5 of the 6 hours curled up together in the cat basket! Cats,and kittens,can safely be left alone for quite long stretches,unlike dogs. Just be sure to shut them in one room,to minimise any possible damage to soft furnishings etc. With regards to a cattery,if you get a kitten now,it would be about 9 - 10 months old by next June,which in my experience is usually fine with a cattery.

TheCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 17:44:45

Your checking in will be fine. I had a couple of days with Ozzy then started nipping home when I could during the day. He sleeps most of the day anyway.
He's spent time with a cat sitter too - a nice lady who pops in twice a day to feed him and play with him.
As long as he has his dinner, his warm kitten milk and regular cuddles he's happy.

TheCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 17:59:47

Weird. My first post didn't show till I posted my second one. Sorry!

TheFurryMenace Tue 15-Nov-16 20:43:29

Thanks for your reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now