Talk

Advanced search

Will he grow out of this?

(31 Posts)
TheCakes Mon 07-Nov-16 22:37:34

Ozzy is a little hunter, it seems. He bites, scratches, pounces...
He jumps up and grips my legs with his claws and bites my fingers, hands, face...
He's only four months old. We give him all his wrestling toys and tell him no firmly when he's not playing nicely, but he can be naughty.
DS has started wearing his shin-pads round the house in self defence 😂
This is baby kitten stuff, right? There's not a lot more I could be doing?
He gets neutered in January.

cozietoesie Mon 07-Nov-16 22:43:09

Only four months old? And with a neutering to come? You can't judge much yet. smile

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Mon 07-Nov-16 22:46:13

I hope so. DF is very elderly and has dementia. We have a new kitten which he loves but today it scratched his hand right along an artery. Lots of blood everywhere.

if it happens again we will have to seriously consider Kittens future. sad

TheCakes Mon 07-Nov-16 22:49:40

Yeah, he is very, very lovely. He wants cuddles all the time and loves his kitten milk. Such a softie. But by god, he can be naughty.
Poor DS gets ambushed all the time.

TatteredOwl Mon 07-Nov-16 22:57:33

Rose - it will happen many more times. Did you not realise that kittens scratch a lot in play ?

FuzzyWizard Tue 08-Nov-16 18:31:04

Sounds like normal kitten behaviour to me. Most cats will grow out of it. I'd personally get him neutered sooner than January though. 4 months is the recommended age for neutering IIRC. I'd want to make sure he was neutered before his hormones started kicking in. If not he may develop unwanted behaviours that can be difficult to get rid of.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 08-Nov-16 18:52:54

Yep, kittens scratch and bite, perfectly normal. I've been hand reading a kitten from birth (beg June) and she has just stopped attacking my hands

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:02:35

Normal. Ask if they can neuter him early.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 08-Nov-16 19:13:23

Ineverpromised - or keep kitten and father apart? You can't seriously be considering getting rid of the kitty over an accident?shock

TatteredOwl Tue 08-Nov-16 19:15:20

That's how I read it! Honestly everyone knows that kittens draw blood frequently don't they? They're like it until 6-8 months

TroysMammy Tue 08-Nov-16 19:45:03

My friend reminded me the other day when we were talking about my parents horrid Siamese, my arms and legs were always covered in scrams. I hated that bloody cat and he hated everyone bar my parents and sister.

GardenGeek Tue 08-Nov-16 21:35:57

Yes he will grow out of it. Sometimes it is really bad and if your still laughing its probably nowhere near at its worse.

I found mine continued after neutering until we let him outside. Then I think he understood what all his 'feelings' were about and realised that his instincts are for hunting.

He stopped all together being a real pain once he had turned 1; although occasionally he still has a playfight with DP who likes to rough house him sometimes. Sighhh.

Even cats are easier to train than DPs! grin

GardenGeek Tue 08-Nov-16 21:38:35

Rose
and of course you cant get rid of a kitty because he scratched your DF.

Ours punched DPs dad in the face today and he has a bloody nose to prove it grin

We are all laughing because it is a tiny scratch completely out of character and absolutely hilarious.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Wed 09-Nov-16 09:13:15

She is a rescue on trial which may or may not work out.

She isn't mine so not my decision.

I do know they draw blood regularly and it was really unfortunate that she hit the blood vessel right along the length of it. The safety of DF needs to come first as he is a vulnerable adult.

The situation will improve when we can let her out.

TheCakes Sun 13-Nov-16 16:00:07

Ozzy is desperate to be allowed outside. And I'm desperate to keep him in. There are bigger cats living nearby, and I worry about him getting hurt or stolen.
I'm trying to play with him more to get some of his aggro out, but considering a harness so he can go in the garden a bit with us.
The vet said they won't neuter before 5 months, but I'll double check. Might be worth doing sooner.

QOD Sun 13-Nov-16 16:06:26

Yeah they grow out of it

Erm. He's 8 so maybe when he's 18 he'll have calmed down 😂

RubbishMantra Sun 13-Nov-16 18:36:16

I have 2 cats. The eldest was given as a "gift", to ddDH before I met either of them. The only time he lashes out is when he gets too comfy on my lap, and I might breathe or something to aggravate him. Then CHOMP! Like a snake striking.

Littlest does pretend bites - opens his mouth like a crocodile and moves towards me slowly, then a pretend bite, just mouthing really.

Kittens are bitey/scratchy little baskets though. Little adorable thugs.

TheCakes Mon 14-Nov-16 12:23:45

Ha, little adorable thugs indeed!
It's occurred to me that part of his desperation to escape could be him looking for a girlfriend. He's far too young! (Although his kittens would be adorable).
Maybe time for a word with the vet...

RubbishMantra Mon 14-Nov-16 13:31:42

Cats can become sexually mature at 4 months, I know this because Little M began humping his fluffy cat sleeping bag at that age. A lot.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Nov-16 14:19:48

Asbo was trying to mount his sister at 17 weeks. She was a gorgeous little thing but it was still icky.

RubbishMantra Mon 14-Nov-16 16:06:44

We even caught Little M trying (unsuccessfully) to mount MCat, an adult male.

MCat was not impressed.

They're pretty much a walking hormone at that age. I'd book him in for the chop, better than him streaking out the door on the scent of a female and getting lost. That's why so many strays are entire toms. Is he chipped?

TheCakes Mon 14-Nov-16 17:50:32

No, they said its easier to chip him at the same time as they neuter him, so I was planning on doing that.
Best get on with it really or Ozzy will be off, sowing his wild oats around the neighbourhood.

TheCakes Mon 14-Nov-16 17:52:23

I don't think he'd be a stray for any length of time - he's a blue tabby BSH. I do worry about someone taking a shine to him though.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Nov-16 17:55:51

Fluffy cat has never escaped on my watch. Now Dh on the other hand has been in the doghouse several times. Notably on bonfire night.

Ours wasn't really interested in outdoors until about 5 months.

TheCakes Mon 14-Nov-16 18:04:46

Do you keep Fluffycat as an indoor cat, Fluffy?
That's my plan for Ozzy, but sometimes I feel a bit mean on him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now