Why do cats want to join you when you're in the bathroom?

(49 Posts)
gingerboy1912 Sun 06-Nov-16 22:42:51

Why ? If I dare to shut the door properly without him in with me he has almost tunnelled a hole under the door by time I open itgrin what is their fascination on being in the bathroom with us.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Nov-16 22:52:42

I wish I knew. Sparklingcat always follows me in. She likes to lie on the bathmat when I am in the bath too. Weird.

Papergirl1968 Mon 07-Nov-16 07:45:51

Dcat likes to stand on his back legs, front paws on the toilet, and watch it flush...smile

CelestialLight Mon 07-Nov-16 07:50:16

I often wonder this too.

QOD Mon 07-Nov-16 07:51:25

It smells goooooood to cats 😷💩

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 07:54:12

QOD grinNice! envy

QOD Mon 07-Nov-16 07:56:24

Lmao. My old cat used to try to sniff round you as you sat there ... beast

GettingitwrongHauntingatnight Mon 07-Nov-16 07:58:29

My dmummycat likes to perch on the edge of the bath, perhaps having a drink of my bath water.shock

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 07-Nov-16 08:00:02

Puccini jumps IN the shower to play with the water!

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 07-Nov-16 08:00:29

My cat gets in the handbasin and meows for attention. Unfortunately the hands basoin is ocut of arms reach so I can't fuss him. Instead I end up trying to coax him to me for the entire time I'm in there. He enjoys it I think, the idiot.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 07-Nov-16 08:02:56

Puccini also likes the sink filled up so he can pretend to fish by batting his paws in the water then sucks the water off his paw.

Then I have to clean the sink...

flumpybear Mon 07-Nov-16 08:04:49

I have a bath loving cat too, he has a fluffy tail and I have my bath so high that his tail gets wet! They also howl at the bathroom window when I get up in the morning for the loo (bungalow ...) .... but I actually wonder if it is because
They get you alone then ..... but that fails when the kids come crashing in too lol

dingit Mon 07-Nov-16 08:23:22

One of mine used to get in the bath with me. Not touching the water mind, but wrapped around my neck/ over my substantial bosom smile

Toddlerteaplease Mon 07-Nov-16 08:48:28

Only one of mine will occasionally follow me in. She pseudo sprays in there. She doesn't do it anywhere else. She followed me in while I was in the bath and was standing on her back legs peering in to see what I was doing. It was so cute, the look on her face told me she thought I was mad to be sitting in water!

FireflyGirl Mon 07-Nov-16 09:12:54

R-cat used to stand on the ledge at the end of the bath in our old house while I had a shower.

He likes to come in and sit on my knee while I'm actually on the loo - in large part I suspect because it's one of the rare times I sit down! grin

smEGGtoplasm Mon 07-Nov-16 09:46:53

It's the only time my girl is ever nice to me. When I'm sitting on the toilet! The rest of the time she looks at me with contempt.

Little boy likes to sit in my trousers grin

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 10:26:15

We have to fill up the hair washing jug and leave it in the bath, thats the only place the cat will drink from!

NotAPuffin Mon 07-Nov-16 11:29:55

SmallCat climbs into the sink and demands head rubs and drinks of water. It's the only way she'll drink. She won't allow us to close the door while she's in there though.

BigCat follows DH absolutely everywhere while he's at home so if he's on the loo she's either sitting in his undies or on his lap. If he's in the shower she'll sit dejectedly outside the door till he comes out.

Shriek Mon 07-Nov-16 17:11:01

I have a theory that they dont like to have thir options closed off as theyare such curious creatures!

Mine will sit on edge of bath. Go bonkers at any door if they are shut out. And watch me from round cornersnso I feel spied on. Soon as I turn round feeling eyes watching me he runs off!

I am sitting duck when on loo and the other one knos it. She literrally runs into loo and jumps on my lap and I am a dope and just sit tjere whilst she honoirs me with her attentions as other time is not bothered thank you!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 07-Nov-16 17:33:27

idiotcat loves the bathroom...he accompanies as many people as possible and roffles about on the bathmat

he used to like spying on people in the shower, and jumping into the tray as soon as the doors were opened, and paddle about in the left over water, but the novelty seems to have worn off of that

his sister likes to watch the toilet flush, sometimes she sits on the side of the bath with her front feet on the seat, and sometimes she stands on her back feet and peeks in
if she is cross she will pee in the shower or handbasin ....wee wretch.

they will both cry to be let in if anyone dares to close the door. it freaks out the ILs if they visit.

Janey50 Mon 07-Nov-16 17:40:05

Our cat likes to sit on the side of the bath when I take a shower. She doesn't seem to mind getting sprinkled with water. She also likes to sit on the floor on the bath mat while my DD has a bath,and the moment she steps out of the bath,she starts licking DD's feet and legs! Never quite understood why she does this,it's only DD she does this to,no one else.

MissBattleaxe Mon 07-Nov-16 17:46:45

I'm glad someone started this thread because I've been wondering the same thing myself. My cat goes mad with happiness on bath night. The kids are in the bath and I'm sitting on the loo (not using it) and the cat stands on my lap and almost combusts with happiness.

Gatekeeper Mon 07-Nov-16 17:50:03

Sherlock comes in when I'm sitting on the pot, jumps up on the cistern, says "Mrrrooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" x1000 and then sits in the sink!

Shriek Mon 07-Nov-16 20:47:36

What IS up with dcats! Such odd behaviours. So unexpected to curl up in cold porcelain sink?!?

LotisBlue Mon 07-Nov-16 20:53:20

My cat's litter tray is in the bathroom and she loves to go for a wee at the same time as me. I think it is some kind of female bonding thing, like when drunk women go to the toilet together in pubs, as she doesn't do it to dp.

I have to shut the door when I have a bath in case she decides to do a shit, which ruins the relaxing ambience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now