Talk

Advanced search

Cat trackers

(13 Posts)
Nelleflowerpot Sat 05-Nov-16 15:35:37

Hi, does anyone use any kind of device to see where a cat is when they go out? Or able to recommend one?
Our kitten will be introduced to the garden next summer and although I don't want her going out of garden, she is a cat so highly likely to go exploring at some point. I would really like to should she not come back on calling be able to locate her quickly and get her in thus my question.
My plan is only to let her out during the day when I'm around avoiding any kind of busy times on the roads. We live in a rural location so she could play happily but I really want to be able to find her if needed.

Thank you x

thecatneuterer Sat 05-Nov-16 16:04:15

The only system you can get for cats is Loc8tor. It doesn't have a very long range and can be blocked by buildings but I have certainly found it helpful.

RubbishMantra Sat 05-Nov-16 17:42:41

Same here, I use Loca8tors for my boys. Helped me find MCat cringing in fear when a sudden gale and storm came upon us.

I believe you can now get real time GPS trackers, but they appear large and cumbersome. The Tractive looks best to me.

If you use a tracker, ensure it's attached to a quick release, snap off collar. Avoid the elasticated ones like the plague. Better to lose the tracking sender and collar, which can be replaced, than your beloved cat, which can't. Elasticated collars can cause horrific injuries (cats getting an arm trapped underneath collar/getting it caught in branches etc.) and death.

Nelleflowerpot Sat 05-Nov-16 18:02:44

I will look at them.
The coller issue is a whole other issue. She already will not keep on a hers I think the catch must be too easy to snap off and my old cat always removed his and deliberately lost them (the bells didn't go with his hunting habit) . There is a gap in the market here!

RubbishMantra Sat 05-Nov-16 18:13:20

Remove the bells. All they do is make your cat a stealthier hunter.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 06-Nov-16 16:18:31

Harry doesn't we a collar any more but when he did we always removed the bell - the poor chap was scared of them!

EhJay Wed 01-Feb-17 11:47:39

I just bought a Miaufinder system as it was recommended to me by some friends in Germany. It uses RF and doesn't have any monthly subscriptions (like my previous ones).
In regards to the transmitter, it screws on the collar so as long as you've got a good one (or a cat that doesn't easily lose them) then it'll be fine.
Have a look for an alternative option:-
www.miaufinder.com/en

Daisypopslop Wed 01-Feb-17 13:01:55

Can you see where your cat is? Is it working well?
I'm still looking as kitten not going out yet !

Daisypopslop Wed 01-Feb-17 13:04:39

Thank you for posting! I'm really worried about letting my kitten out but I know it's cruel not to come summer 😐

EhJay Wed 01-Feb-17 15:17:48

I've had it for month and works great. It doesn't have the fancy cat 'tracking' where you can see where the cats have been, but it's very accurate at location finding.
The other week it was raining and my cat was hiding underneath someone's shed, so I went out with the receiver and hunted him down pretty quickly.
I've tested a few and it appears for my needs the radio frequency is better than the GPS systems, sure they both have pros and cons but it's whatever you're looking for.

EachandEveryone Wed 01-Feb-17 15:53:28

How much did you pay£254?! The Tabcat i bought seems to be working mow but it eats batteries.

EhJay Wed 01-Feb-17 22:00:25

Yes, I did pay that much. Although I paid more for my GPS one with the monthly subscriptions in the long run.

fledglingFTB Sat 11-Feb-17 22:06:54

I've got g-paws at the minute. It's not live tracking, you download when they come back inside. So it's good to get an idea of their routines and locations. It's really interesting to see it but the quality isn't great I struggle to get it to connect and I'll be sending it back shortly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now