Advanced search

I badly need to advise a friend about her cat - she has no money

(11 Posts)
MisguidedAngel Tue 01-Nov-16 18:19:24

Long story short - she exists only on her pension, she lives on her boat and her cat is very precious to her. She has had many losses in her life, her partner died only 18 months ago.

The cat has a tumour in its ear. She has spent more than €1000 euros on treatments in Spain, including an operation (and it is my opinion that she was being ripped off). She spent a further £500 getting it to UK legally, which is where she is now.

The cat doesn't seem to be in any pain, it eats, sleeps, cleans itself .... but the problem in its ear obviously is an irritation so when it shakes its head, wax sprays out. I know she would be responsible enough to have it put down if it was suffering, but it isn't.

She just can't afford any more treatments - are there any charities that could help?

Catcrazy08 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:22:31

Think it might be worth contacting the PDSA, or possibly ask the vets if they know of any help available

DearMrDilkington Tue 01-Nov-16 18:25:11

How old is her cat?

MisguidedAngel Tue 01-Nov-16 18:40:47

Not sure about the age - she got it from a rescue place in Gibraltar 8 years ago and it wasn't a kitten. She's phoned this evening and said she's just paid £40 for a consultation with a different vet, and he wanted to look at all the paperwork she has about previous treatment in Spain (luckily he has a Spanish speaking colleague) and she has told him she hasn't got any money so if there's any chance of a charity helping maybe he will know. Thank you both for responding so quickly.

thecatneuterer Tue 01-Nov-16 19:59:23

Is she in London by any chance?

qwom Tue 01-Nov-16 21:53:01

Get her to call the pdsa. Try the rspca too. I use the pdsa because I am on housing benefit. However, I do try my best to pay the bills i get. If they can't help then get your friend to try talking to several vets. She should find at least one that will be willing to accommodate her financial circumstances. Best of luck!

qwom Tue 01-Nov-16 21:54:39

I live in rural Somerset - out of pdsa 'catchment' areas but most veterinary clinics will accept pdsa funding

Wolfiefan Tue 01-Nov-16 22:02:03

I have no idea if this is true but was told by an elderly owner (you mentioned pension) that her dog's pricey op was paid for by The Cinnamon Trust. (May have been the story the family told to cover the fact they paid but maybe worth an ask.)

MisguidedAngel Wed 02-Nov-16 07:12:47

Thank you all so much, cat lovers rock! There is a chance that the latest vet she's talking to (the one that wanted to read the paperwork) may have PDSA funding, or at least take her circumstances into account.

I will look into the Cinnamon Trust.

MisguidedAngel Wed 02-Nov-16 07:18:03

Sorry, I didn't answer the question about where she is - not London, the River Medway near Hoo.

Lanaorana1 Wed 02-Nov-16 21:22:28

The other people who are brilliant are the Blue Cross, who I think also provide food for pets if the owners are skint.

The thing to do with the RSPCA is to ring up the office closest to her (this may take some finding) and talk to them. I think they pay the vet direct.

Get well soon lovely kitty flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now