Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Microchip cat flap - not finding chip on one of the cats

(10 Posts)
HawkeyeInConfusion Sun 30-Oct-16 11:41:47

That's it really. I have two rescue cats. Both microchipped. And a microchip cat flap. As we are now being visited by a neighbouring cat I have been trying to set up the flap. It registered one of the cats with no problem. But is not picking up the other one.

Googling suggests that chip failure is quite rare (is it?). But other than taking her to the vets to see whether they can locate it, does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks.

SoupDragon Sun 30-Oct-16 11:43:53

The only way to check is by someone scanning her.

The chip in one of my rescue cats failed. It was picked up correctly as a little kitten when checked but never found again after that.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 11:44:20

Is it a faulty cat flap? We had to send two of them back as the flap wouldn't work. Ring up the customer service they're quite good

thecatneuterer Sun 30-Oct-16 12:16:31

Sometimes chips work their way out of the skin. It's happened to one of mine and isn't that uncommon. And there are some types of chips that the flaps don't recognise. However if both cats are from the same place then they are likely to be the same type of chips.

You need to get the cat scanned. I would do that before deciding that the flap isn't working.

HawkeyeInConfusion Sun 30-Oct-16 12:23:49

Thanks for the replies.

The fact it is working for one suggests to me that it isn't the flap (although I have not ruled it out entirely). And both cats were chipped by the same place (cats protection).

I can't feel the chip under the skin anywhere. But she is quite fluffy, and understandably gets grumpy if I try for too long.

Sounds like a trip to the vets is in order.

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 07-Nov-16 18:53:42

I got the cat scanned at the vet. They had no trouble locating it. So it seems that the chip is ok.

But the cat flap still isn't finding it. confused

I spoke to the cat flap company. They are as baffled as I am.

I'm desperately hoping someone here has encountered similar and can pass on their wisdom.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:01:21

Isn't the cat flap company replacing the cat flap?.

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 07-Nov-16 19:43:23

They didn't suggest it.

I assume that, as it works for one of the cats, it's not the flap that's at fault?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 07-Nov-16 22:20:38

So cats do not put their head further enough into the flap initially, it takes them practice and they need to get used to the click. It took the tail less wonder a month of the flap being propped open to be able to use it properly.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 08-Nov-16 15:06:57

It still might be faulty, it might not be able to read more than one chip. I'd be pushing for a replacement especially seeing as we had two that were faulty so clearly it happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now