My cats can't really be hungry, can they?

(16 Posts)
BarbaraofSeville Sun 30-Oct-16 09:39:12

Currently getting to the end of my tether with the kittens and food. We have 8 cats at the moment (some are foster cats so not permanent) and the younger ones are 5-7 months old and seem to desperate to get at our food, as does the three year old.

They get a packet or quarter of a tin in the morning, the same in the early evening, and maybe 2/3 of a packet each before bed. We also have dry food out constantly for grazing and go through a good amount of that each day.

When they get their wet food they usually eat most, but not absolutely all of it, so I don't think they need bigger portions for their main meals. I watch them all eat to make sure they all get some - one or two of the worst ones will eat all their food and then start pushing other cats out of the way to get more food.

None are underweight and two or three could definitely be described as a little podgy. Most of them go outside so probably eat mice/birds as well.

But I've just tried to have my breakfast and have had to fight them all off. We don't have many doors downstairs so it's difficult to shut them out/in but as well as trying to take food off our plates, they also lick butter off knives, dregs out of pans, scavenge every scrap of food possible basically. They even get in the dishwasher if partly loaded and lick old food off crockery etc in there.

It's like they're all starved and desperate, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Any ideas? They get normal catfood and I know a lot of people think it is rubbish, but what are the alternatives? Can't really afford to buy the really expensive food, we already spend nearly as much on their food as ours - seriously the catfood bill is probably about £150 pm as it is.

I was thinking of trying them with scrambled egg, I know they like that but how much per cat is the right amount? Does it need to be hot or cold? Any other ideas - mince? I assume they would eat it raw? How much mince is a portion for a cat? Which is best - fatty or lean?

BarbaraofSeville Sun 30-Oct-16 09:40:57

Should add that we've had cats for over 20 years and the amount of food (2 packets a day with constant access to biscuits and the odd mouse) has been enough for most other cats we've had.

thisusernameisnotavailable Sun 30-Oct-16 09:43:22

If they go out, when did you last worm them all?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 09:51:44

Do you mean the pouches? What does it say on the instructions as some of the pouches you're meant to feed 4 a day!

Our cat rarely licks the plate clean but can definitely need a bit more. I think it's either he's a bit daft/ he likes eating from a pile of food or he can't see the last bit!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 30-Oct-16 09:57:33

They get nearly 3 pouches/packets a day, plus a load of dry food. Any time I've weighed the dry food, the recommended portions look very small compared with the amount they actually get - like humans and breakfast cereal.

Some are a little podgy and none are underweight. All are wormed at the required frequency.

Either they have that disease where they never feel full, or maybe are just spoilt and greedy smile.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 10:01:56

Are they wormed?

Do you play with them really hard to wear them out? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but our cat is definitely more inquisitive around food if we don't play with him.. a lot!

Is it kitten food?

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 14:40:14

I would recommend Waitrose pouches; they are the same price as Whiskas and Felix (3 boxes for a tenner) but have 3x the meat content (c. 14% compared to 4%). Some of the Waitrose can foods have up to 55% meat but I assume they are more expensive.

Unfortunately you cant buy bulk boxes like you can felix/whiskas; so with multiple cats you may be getting a better saving than the normal deals per box.

But Whiskas and felix pouches are 4% meat, so not very good at all.

What kibble are you feeding, because a lot of those are shocking meat% too;
We feed Wainwrights which is 35% meat and 26% rice compared with 4% meat content for Whiskas/Felix kibble.

Not sure about the price comparison, but we were spending so much money on Whiskas/ Felix and our boy couldnt eat all the pouches as was 'full', but wasn't getting the nutrition he needed and was always hungry.

It may be worth a try.

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 14:44:56

and kudos for having 8 cats; they do sound like a pack grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 15:23:16

Interesting about the waitrose pouches,is that their own make?

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 15:42:54

Yes its 'Waitrose Own Brand' - Waitrose Special (Dark Grey Boxes) 14% meat
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=40771
(Thats just one flavour)

They also do Waitrose Essential but thats 4% meat like Whiskas/ Felix (White Boxes)

They don't seem to have the deal online atm; so it is more expensive, but when GardenBoy was a youngster we went from feeding 4 pouches of whiskas a day to feeding 2 pouches Waitrose so I assume it would be cost-effective

This is the 55% stuff I saw...
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=39037
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=46775
I might get it for Christmas for him this year. He used to get Lillys for Christmas and his birthday (which is 35% meat content) but very expensive.

They also do 14% pate which is really cheap
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=48094

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 15:46:03

Wainwrights wet is also excellent meat% with c.40%
But thats more pate texture and our boy didn't like it at all.
But they sell that in bulk boxes so might suit OP better; but try out some boxes first. Might be good to stop them all eating each others if some don't like it.

Wainwrights Wet food

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 15:46:34

typo - try some small boxes of flavours first before buying bulk

longdiling Sun 30-Oct-16 15:49:54

There's also good old Butcher's. £2 something for 6 tins and the one I just looked at was 30% chicken.

Some cats just don't seem to have an off switch though. Our older cat had to be put on a diet because feeding her on demand led to her being 1.5kg overweight. All our previous cats just seemed to naturally eat the right amounts!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 30-Oct-16 18:10:06

Thanks for all the replies. I did actually buy some of that Waitrose stuff to try following a recommendation last week. We'll see how it goes.

I'll also look at some different biscuits and find a small container to measure a portion so they don't over eat. They usually have Whiskas complete. The companies make such a big thing about how it's all the right food for your cat, but when you think about it, it's the equivalent of only feeding humans on processed junk?

If you mean the Butchers Classic in the orange cans, they don't seem to like that or else they just decided to turn their noses up at it on that particular day.

This week's being particularly difficult as DP has been working away and in reality it's a 2 person job to get them all fed and make sure they all get their share, especially as 2 of the young ones are in the permanently starving teenage boy phase, which hopefully will pass. Shortly after I posted they'd all gone to sleep and I just went round the house looking at their sweet faces so all was well smile.

GardenGeek Sun 30-Oct-16 18:15:37

Aww bless them, hope it they like it and it fills them up more grin

QforCucumber Sun 30-Oct-16 18:54:02

Our 2 can be like this. Though they have plenty of cat food as soon as the fridge is opened or the over turned on the come sprinting as they expect ham or chicken. I think our food just tastes nicer than their tins and therefore they want what we have. They own us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now