Talk

Advanced search

Cat constantly miaowing in evening

(30 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 13:24:58

I have a 2 and a half year old half Siamese boy cat.

He is locked in every night when I get home or my lodger does, she's home at 6.30 generally and I'm home same time or 7pm. Either of us feeds him then locks him in. He goes upstairs (split level maisonette) to my bedroom or the box room and sleeps. However usually at 9pm he comes downstairs and miaows really loudly to go out. He won't be quiet even if you tell him to be and often he wants 'playtime' with a laser pointer (usually 5-10 minutes). Anyway this is getting really wearing esp as its eg I the middle of Poldark!

He will go away for say 2 minutes then come back again for another enslaught!

He used to sleep in his cat bed in the evenings in the lounge (behind the sofa in the gap between it and radiator!) but not now (or not yet) doing that. He prefers to be upstairs.

Ignoring probably the only way to deal with this but does anyone have any other ideas? He is driving us mad! [grin

He is fed etc so it's not that, he's not a cuddly cat so that isn't it either!

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 13:25:48

By the way the miaows are all the more painful as they're the classic loud Siamese yowl!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 13:43:22

He wants attention and lurrve! Where does he sleep overnight?

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 13:44:35

PS - I'm assuming he's neutered?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 13:44:55

We usually have to play with our cat for at least an hour in the evenings.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 13:46:17

In my limited experience you can't really ignore cats,you just have to listen to them when they're telling you something.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 14:10:22

cozie he sleeps generally on my bed or a chair next to it or sometimes in the box room...

yes he is neutered.

He gets love! This is the cat cozie that my mum sometimes comes and sees (cut it down to once or twice a week now) during the day. He is now very much my cat.

Dame play with him for an hour?! shock

am seriously thinking about a 'friend' for him even though he fights most other cats on his patch as my other 2 that were brother and sister fought a bit but at least were company.

am wondering - he left his mum at 4 and a half/5 months old? could it be that?

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 14:11:50

also, the thing is - when he's in and asleep that is on his terms, eg food and sleep. when he comes to get my attention its on HIS terms!

he yowls (though got better) at 6.30am some mornings for me to get up.... why oh why did i get a half siamese?!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 14:21:57

I can only really speak from the perspective of having had a series of full Siamese - and Yes. Life is on their terms. (Mostly.) Our boys have a few house rules that they have to observe but I would reckon that my rules are more comprehensive and more demanding.

He needs attention from the sound of it - and he's only young so will be full of energy. Do you talk to him a lot?

TheSunnySide Tue 25-Oct-16 14:28:16

Schedule in some playing time

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 14:36:00

I do talk to him a lot, when I'm in. a bit hard to do that when he chooses to relax upstairs away from me!

He is very funny. When I was away for 2 weeks, I came back and he immediately rushed to find me - then went deliberately straight into the bathroom a few times with me (a place he normally hates, no idea why, have never washed him!) - I asked my lodger what he was doing?

Her reply - "well in the morning I don't do what you do" (which is get up, downstairs, let cat out, feed him (he never eats first thing though) then upstairs for a shower. She just had her shower then let him out after that. He was obviously telling me what she had done (and he wasn't probably overly pleased that HER needs came first!). grin

He is full of energy - rarely catches anything (not that I see, just a few frogs) and just fights - or meaows at the other cats who dare to come onto his patch.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 14:37:18

TheSunnySide - ok then apart from his laser toy no idea what to get him he has a Da Bird etc he has a full box of toys all of which he's bored with now

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 14:42:36

The thing about Siamese - I'll talk about them - is that they usually need people behind the toys rather than just the toys themselves. You can't just give them a toy and expect them to get on with it.

If he's not talking to you - e.g. Upstairs - go wake him up and interact with him. Take the interaction to him. smile

SuperFlyHigh Tue 25-Oct-16 14:53:15

cozie I do interact when playing - upstairs with his pointer.

that's interesting re waking him up - I usually leave him sleeping poor thing looks so tired!

I will try this... pity I'm at yoga later!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 14:54:07

I thought an hour was pretty good actually, we usually do about 20 mins eachgrin

He will go and stand by the toy cupboard and look pitiful until one of us gets something out .

Favourites are- laser toy, feathers on a fishing rod, a soft ball that he will play fetch with and a tunnel which he likes catching a ball if we throw it through it.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 15:15:21

Oh Yes. It works both ways, remember. grin

An hour should be fine, Dame. It will probably reduce as he becomes older though.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 15:19:28

It's already reduced, it used to be ALL eveninggrin Dh,ds and me taking turns is ok and a lot can be done in front of the telly

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 15:22:25

It's fair to remember that if you're working out of the home, they're storing up a lot to 'unleash' on you. They may sleep when you're out but that's not necessarily going to mean that they'll sleep when you're there. smile

Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Oct-16 16:14:57

Isn't life with cats all 'on their terms' anyway?grinhmm

Toddlerteaplease Tue 25-Oct-16 16:15:28

And our only purpose in life is to attend to their every whim?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Oct-16 19:27:10

My cat just shoved his head through the cat flap, miaowed at me, backed out and waited by the door for me to open it.

Ffshmm

We are there to serve themgrin

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 19:46:12

Uh Huh. I bet you opened it as well! grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 26-Oct-16 01:19:19

Of course I did. Immediately! hmmgrin

SuperFlyHigh Wed 26-Oct-16 09:41:44

OK - so I was out at yoga last night so lodger played with him for 30 minutes last night...

he also went into the box room which he likes (cooler and he went and hid in there for 2 weeks when he first came to live with me - hid under the IKEA church bed!).

he was doing the cute thing the other night though (you know when they lie down on their backs showing their tummies) and then he usually wants to play eg lunges for me... grin

the only other time when he's 'good' is if I do a roast chicken and sit on the sofa - then he sits right next to me not moving a muscle slowly edging towards me but no paws out until I give him a piece of chicken. in fact that's the only time he seems to want to snuggle!

SuperFlyHigh Wed 26-Oct-16 09:42:36

I've got the cat tunnel on order and he will get a full 30 minutes play time later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now