Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Petal Cleanse and other allergy reducing 'solutions'

(23 Posts)
fiorentina Mon 24-Oct-16 21:52:49

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and if it reduced allergies in an adult. Alternatively if air filters do make a difference. We have a young kitten that my DH is showing signs of allergy towards despite living with cats as a child. Many thanks.

Wolfiefan Mon 24-Oct-16 21:54:32

Interested here too. I have lived with cats for most of my life. We have two kittens. I'm allergic to one! They're sisters!!!
At the moment I'm washing my hands lots. It mainly manifests with eczema but asthma affected too.
Shut cats out of bedroom? Damp dusting.

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 24-Oct-16 21:55:13

sorry to say, you need to rehome the cat.
it's miserable living with allergies.

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 24-Oct-16 21:59:25

Seconded. There is no cure for an allergy and Petal Cleanse etc is like using using a water pistol on a house fire - sure it may have some effect but it's negligible.

As someone who loves and adores cats but is highly allergic to them you need to rehome: when my mum refused to give up the cat it was only when I was hospitalised with a cold that had turned into a serious chest infection because my system was knackered due to my allergy that she finally got the picture and rehomed the cat.

It's so so crap but basically there's no such thing as a "mild" allergy; an allergy is an allergy is an allergy.

Wolfiefan Mon 24-Oct-16 22:00:52

I'm not rehoming my cat. One of two sisters? I would rather cope with a bit of eczema rather than lose my pet. I am certainly not highly allergic.
Horses on the other hand suddenly bring me out in hives! shock

fiorentina Mon 24-Oct-16 22:08:15

Fair enough, I understand what you're saying. At the moment he seems ok with it and says it's tolerable. I'm unclear from research if it builds up or stays at the same 'level' of allergy. She doesn't go out at the moment, not sure if that will help as the house will be better aired then?

fiorentina Mon 24-Oct-16 22:09:39

We definitely don't have her in our room, downstairs is all wooden floors so I will keep that v clean and assess how things go. Thank you.

Wolfiefan Mon 24-Oct-16 22:25:34

I use a steam cleaner on my floor. Probably will be a bit better when she can go out. Mine appears to be getting a bit better.

fiorentina Mon 24-Oct-16 22:27:28

Thanks Wolfiefan

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 24-Oct-16 22:35:21

I'm unclear from research if it builds up or stays at the same 'level' of allergy.

that's because every allergy is different and can change over time. some people can 'tolerate' allergens around them but would feel much much better without them.
allergy meds are not without risk, and if his breathing is affected it's no joke. he could actually die from an asthma attack.

fiorentina Tue 25-Oct-16 07:26:01

I understand that. Hence wanting to be sensible about this. Thanks

FuzzyWizard Tue 25-Oct-16 10:05:03

I live quite happily with a cat despite being allergic. I grew up with cats and don't regret getting my current cat at all. I was taking antihistamines daily for the first couple of weeks but now it's largely fine without them. I have to wash my hands a lot but other than that I cope just fine. My cat is a longhair though which seems to help.

fiorentina Tue 25-Oct-16 20:43:28

Thanks Fuzzywizard

Nishky Tue 25-Oct-16 20:48:17

Please don't believe people who say you get used to your own cat- you get used to being ill! I had two cats because someone told me that- they stayed with my parents for two years whilst I was at college and the change in my health was so dramatic they stayed with them.

Also do not underestimate the gradual worsening of symptoms- I spent 3 days in hospital on oxygen because of exposure to a guide dog at work.

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 20:51:31

Nishky you may have been made very ill. Some of us aren't. It's not as simple as saying "get rid". I can live with my allergies. OP's DH may not be able to. We can't know.

Gatekeeper Tue 25-Oct-16 20:53:54

But you can get used to your cat. When I moved in with my ex many years ago he had two cats. I had grown up in a pet free household and after a short time I found myself wheezing, had itchy eyes and neck and hives. Fast forward two months and this disappeared completely and I never had another issue with them or any cat since

Nishky Tue 25-Oct-16 20:55:41

Gatekeeper it is such dangerous advice, it really is.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 25-Oct-16 21:13:22

I agree Wolfie, everyone's symptoms are different. If, God forbid, I developed an allergy to my cat he wouldn't be rehomed unless it was life threatening. I spend half the year on antihistamines for hayfever so I'm used to it!

Potentialmadcatlady Tue 25-Oct-16 22:18:35

I'm allergic to loads and loads of things....I can't cut them all out of my life even if I tried - not unless I lived in a bubble... I take dtr prescribed anti histamines all year round- strong ones... I damp dust and Hoover every day... I definitely get 'used' to animals after they have lived with me.. First couple of weeks I'm much worse then gradually it eases off..( I foster/rescue for get different animals fairly frequently)...

Gatekeeper Wed 26-Oct-16 09:08:22

Nishky, I'm not giving advice but rather commenting on your statement. Not everyone has such a reaction and people can get used to their allergy source and not react amymore

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 26-Oct-16 11:12:05

I didn't read your post as you giving advice Gatekeeper, just commenting on your own experience. I've heard so many times about people who can live with their own animal but not others, every situation is different.

Cocopops2 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:24:14

We used petal cleanse along with 2 other products that came as a care pack from The Healthy House , results were very good used them for around 3 weeks 2 years ago. Can only speak for our family but we felt it was worth a try and luckily it worked 👍☺️

fiorentina Wed 26-Oct-16 15:30:59

I have ordered petal cleanse and the spray to see if it works for DH. Also changed the filters in the Miele cat and dog vacuum cleaner. We shall see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now