Talk

Advanced search

Our young cat is being terrorised

(7 Posts)
cariboo Mon 24-Oct-16 20:12:42

Leila, our six-month old cat, is being attacked by a neighbourhood cat, Jasmine. I know it's a territorial thing, but Leila stays in and around our home and, in theory, it's her turf. Jasmine is much older and I've seen her around prior to our adopting Leila. I don't know Jasmine's owners but even if I did, I can't ask them to keep Jasmine indoors.

Leila loves to go out and would be quite miserable if I kept her confined. Any suggestions?

cozietoesie Mon 24-Oct-16 20:45:29

Do you see Jasmine around your property?

cariboo Mon 24-Oct-16 21:14:53

Yes, she's always around.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Oct-16 22:46:56

I'd make her feel unwanted if she's in your garden, then. A thin jet of water from - say - a garden plant sprayer won't harm her (of course) but would certainly discommode her. (Cats usually hate being wet.) She ought to get the message.

Have you a microchip flap for your own cat if she uses a flap? It would be unfortunate if Jasmine was able to come into your house and invade Leila's safe place.

cariboo Tue 25-Oct-16 05:39:20

No, we don't have a cat flap. Apart from the front door, our other access doors are glass (sliding).

Giving Jasmine a blast from the garden hose would make me feel a lot better!grin

OliviaStabler Tue 25-Oct-16 05:55:44

Water is your friend. A couple of jugs of water over the cat will mean she never sets foot in your garden again.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Oct-16 09:22:41

I can understand that the garden hose might be satisfying but it might also be just a tad forceful, I fear. grin

I used to have one of those hand held 'pressure sprayers' that you could pump up. They can send a thin jet of water quite some distance when charged and cats really hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now