Talk

Advanced search

Christmas trees and kittens

(30 Posts)
AnneGables Sun 23-Oct-16 21:38:52

I fear we may have to not have one this year, but with young dc I'm loathe not too.

Kitten is currently 13 weeks, very mischievous as they are, climbs and chews everything. He gets shut in the lounge at night, as the rest of downstairs is open plan. No other room would fit the Christmas tree in.

Any advice, suggestions? I know its early!

PickledLilly Sun 23-Oct-16 21:42:12

The cat will almost certainly climb the tree. Don't put any glass/breakable baubles on it and ensure you take cute pictures grin

SecretNutellaFix Sun 23-Oct-16 21:44:36

When my two were kittens we anchored the tree to the radiator with those chains of beads that are really cheap. Kept the tree upright, even it did look a bit wrecked, around the bottom especially.

AnneGables Sun 23-Oct-16 21:45:12

Ha I love that picture!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 23-Oct-16 21:46:50

our cats give the tree about a week....

they ignore it and then suddenly will not leave it alone, so we never put the tree up until the last possible moment ...last year I think it was the 23rd and then its down by 28th/29th absolute latest.

Even so it is a small-ish fake tree, five or maybe six feet, and it fits into a very deep window sill in the dining room ....the base is weighted, and the top is looped into a hook in the top of the window recess, so it is pretty sturdily fixed in the event of Cat Attack.

Belsatan Sun 23-Oct-16 21:46:57

We were in the same predicament last year with four kittens. It Will Def climb the tree. But will soon learn not too and it will be a good laugh and a good memory. This kitten did not mske to the next christmas and the memory of her climbing fills out hearts.

Do not put precious and fragile baubles on.

sm40 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:47:21

My kitten climbed up the tree whilst I was upstairs with the kids and almost strangled in the lights. I got a sense of trouble and luckily rescued him in time. He's not the brightest cat in the world and not sure if this is the cause (he also got run over!).
I think we never left him in that room unsupervised from then on
And shut the door at night.

sm40 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:50:32

Sorry just re read the bit about him being in the same room as tree! Modify the tree this year!

SparklesandBangs Sun 23-Oct-16 21:53:01

It's not just kittens our late DCat still climbed the tree last year at 8. Was looking forward to splashing out on a new one this year, but we are getting a new kitten.

Papergirl1968 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:54:31

Our two year old cat isn't especially interested in the tree. He will pat the odd bauble and occasionally goes under it but hasn't climbed it.

SangtheSun Sun 23-Oct-16 21:58:19

My daughter would come down every morning to find her cats asleep in the Christmas tree. They made themselves comfy 'nests'.

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:09:22

After the first night our kittens had the run of the house. (Kids bedroom doors shut though!) Could you shut them out of the lounge at night.
Nothing breakable on the tree. Mine attacked it regularly.

Our cat used to unpick the Christmas chocolates, leave the empty silver foil wrappers hanging on the tree, then bat the chocolate around the floor.

AnneGables Sun 23-Oct-16 22:17:35

Okay so limit the decorations to non breakable and edible, secure to something and hope for the best.

Might have to go without lights then, sm40 how fortunate you were home at the time.

It's a big fake one, but a few years old now, so wouldn't be the end of the world if it had to be ditched afterwards.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 24-Oct-16 06:55:50

Cats attacking Christmas trees are one of the best parts of Christmas and far more entertaining than the TV!

Imissmy0ldusername Mon 24-Oct-16 07:03:28

Our cat targetted the candy canes in the tree one year. Couldn't figure out why until we realised they were peppermint. It was really funny watching her play with them - she looked like a feline Charlie Chaplin or something smile

I don't think we're going to bother with a tree this year - the cat likes a challenge, and it's bad enough disentangling her from the coat stand - which she has been known to bring down. Love her to bits, but she is a right monkey at times.

Lillagroda Mon 24-Oct-16 07:04:05

Cat 1 is no trouble. I put a few decs down at the bottom of the tree for her which she picks off for a play, but otherwise she leaves it alone.

Cat 2 is bad enough that the first few years we had to hang the tree out of her reach or she'd climb up it and trash it. She still has to be watched around it, but got better with age.

Definitely only shatterproof and replaceable decs though!

PoldarksBreeches Mon 24-Oct-16 07:07:08

We have a kitten this year for the first time, I hadn't thought about fairy lights being a hazard! Thanks

Spottyladybird Mon 24-Oct-16 10:56:45

No tinsel or ribbons as they will cause immeasurable damage if they chew them.
Think we just accepted ours would climb and let him get on with it. When they're tiny it's fine it's when they get to be huge that you have an issue!

TimeIhadaNameChange Mon 24-Oct-16 11:44:03

Could he climb the walls of a playpen? If no, then stand the tree up in one. May not look quite as pretty as you'd hope, but better to be safe than sorry.

My cat takes very little notice of the tree, which, considering how she is otherwise surprised me. My last cat would pat decorations off the bottom but otherwise would leave them alone (though she loved patting the spare bulbs from the lights around, so we'd have to watch her when putting the lights up). A friend's cat would catapult herself into their tree each year, though!

MycatsaPirate Mon 24-Oct-16 11:48:36

We had a little rescue for a year (before she sadly got run over) and I remember coming home one day and find our front drive littered with christmas decorations which she had knocked off the tree and then carried out through the cat flap to knock about in the garden. Several rolled under the gate and she then knocked them all over the drive.

Fuck knows what the postman thought!

Oldraver Mon 24-Oct-16 12:07:17

Ernie was born around August 2nd so probably about your kittens age (?)

We thought we would have problems with him and he did climb the first level and fell out so didnt bother much...he also got caught up in the lights.

We had anchored the tree to the wall...we put a large eye on the wall at the back and attatched a strap

NoIsAnAnswer Mon 24-Oct-16 12:10:22

Cats love Christmas trees. They either climb them, sleep under them or play with the declarations. Any decorations with feathers just give directly to the cat. No point in putting it on the tree-cat will destroy the tree getting to it grin.

Put your tree up early with no decorations on so he can get used to it and hopefully get bored of it by the time you decorate it.

ToujeoQueen Mon 24-Oct-16 12:14:38

All my cats have climbed the tree. We anchored ours to the radiator. Even better if you get a fibre optic tree and just decorate with tinsel.

newbieho Mon 24-Oct-16 12:26:23

There was a case in the neighbourhood last year when the kitten got tangled in the xmas lighrs and hanged himself sad so please be vary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now