Talk

Advanced search

Cat straining and pooing constantly

(11 Posts)
RolfsBabyGrand Sat 22-Oct-16 23:13:26

My 12 year old cat has been pooing indoors for over a year. I went to vet and he said it was due to arthritis and only feeling safe to poo in front of me. Past week he seems to be trying for a poo every time I turn round. He is passing poo, smallish and very dark. Sometimes he squirts out liquid poo. Earlier today he was lying beside me on sofa and I can see he is straining even when lying down. He pooed lying on sofa. I have vet appointment but wondered if this sounds familiar to anyone? He is eating okay but does look sorry for himself.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Oct-16 23:32:45

Has the vet put him on any meds?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 22-Oct-16 23:38:28

I had a cat that had a furball stuck in her intestines. Not sure about her stools as she was an outdoor pooing cat, but I realised there was something wrong when she was floppy and lethargic one morning. How soon is your vet appointment?

JinkxMonsoon Sat 22-Oct-16 23:39:27

I would assume blockage too.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Oct-16 23:43:06

If a cat is constipated, you sometimes have diarrhoea 'leakage' coming round the blockage - the compacted stools. When is his vet appointment?

Lunde Sat 22-Oct-16 23:49:24

Could be a blockage - also do you worm the cat regulalry? Sometimes a large tapeworm can cause problems

Probably best to see the vet

RolfsBabyGrand Mon 24-Oct-16 21:00:29

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry to say he had to be put to sleep. Vet could feel a large mass in his stomach and signs of neurological damage. It was the kindest thing to do. I am devastated and miss him so much already.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Oct-16 21:06:07

I'm very sorry about it. You got him to the vet, though, and sorted things for him - hard to do but a very kind and loving thing.

FurryLittleTwerp Mon 24-Oct-16 21:23:55

So sorry - I lost a cat years ago with a very similar story. Poor old thing sad

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 24-Oct-16 21:32:07

That's sad news

LineyReborn Mon 24-Oct-16 21:34:09

I'm very sorry, OP. You looked after your cat and you obviously loved him. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now