DCat has tapeworms, oh the shame!

(3 Posts)
ScunderedAHundred Thu 20-Oct-16 16:13:17

Have NCed for this as the shame is too much.

So I discovered this morning that what I thought were seeds that the cat kept tracking in, turned out to be tapeworm segments.

My concern is for 4 month DS who I foolishly have been encouraging to stroke the cat. What is the risk to him?

Now for the shame. DCat is primarily an indoor cat, but allowed out to the balcony to gnaw on my plants, so he uses the litter tray inside. Unfortunately, DDog thinks cat shit is a gourmet delicacy and will gorge herself if I don't clean the tray in time. I've tried everything I can to stop her, but she thwarts me at every turn. Can she catch anything from this?

Any recommendations for treatments too? Are there any I can get without prescription or is it best to go to my vet?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Oct-16 21:46:37

I would see a dr for the humans and a vet for the pets. Everyone's going to need treatment.

I've had worms, lots of pet owners will have. Worms are a successful parasite because they spread easily but don't kill the host.

wtffgs Thu 20-Oct-16 21:56:54

Treat the cat.

See the HV re your baby.

I do get mildly irritated by the indoor cat brigade. Cats will get out, scavenge things they ought not and generally, just be, well, cats. hmm

S/he should be wormed 3-monthly, using vet-supplied meds not Pets at Home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now