Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitten licking same spot

(5 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 20-Oct-16 11:31:19

Kitten is 12 weeks old, we've had her for 4 weeks. She's settled in brilliantly, is friendly and affectionate, eats like a horse and is totally a part of the family now.

But when she grooms herself, she always focuses on the same spot for a long time. It's on her side about halfway down. She purrs and moves her paws (like they do on mum's tum when feeding) so seems to enjoy the action of licking the spot. I did wonder if there was a nipple there but there isn't!

Any thoughts? It's not overgrooming per se, it's only this spot. She seems happy, not anxious or bored.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 20-Oct-16 11:59:20

Does she have pain there? Overgrooming can often be a symptom of pain.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 20-Oct-16 12:34:06

I don't know, how would I know if she was in pain there? She doesn't appear to be, and seems to love licking that spot.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 20-Oct-16 22:36:26

Constantly licking at a particular spot can indicate pain. My parents cat did it and ended up with a bald spot. Think he had a minor injury there. With pain killers the over grooming stopped.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Fri 21-Oct-16 06:56:57

She's done it ever since we had her. I guess the only thing to do is take her to the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now